Monday, December 17, 2018

Moose Milk and More Memories







Another fond memory from when I was young was visiting people....... neighbours friends and family.... before the holidays.  We would bring small Christmas gifts or holiday treats and visit for awhile....... the visit usually involved tea/coffee and sweets.

One neighbour I remember visiting - always served homemade chocolates and something called 'Moose Milk'.  We kids weren't allowed to even taste it..... we got chocolate milk instead. 

And of course folks would drop in at my parent's house ....... I remember one Christmas Eve lying in my bed and hearing the doorbell ring over and over.. people were dropping by and I was in bed ..... it so wasn't fair!!!  I discovered if I moved to the end of my bed and twisted so I was almost falling off I could just see the people coming in carrying sparkling Christmas presents.  I have no idea how my father discovered I was still awake and watching...... but he came and stood in my doorway and told me I was supposed to be asleep!!  Then instead of getting cross with me... he made me squiggle round and move over...... he tucked the blankets in tight around me ............ 

AND

he laid down beside me.  I will never forget the feeling of drifting off to sleep all snuggled in tight with my father lying beside me.......

These memories came pouring back this weekend because Sir Steve and I went visiting......... (we've had a postal strike here and didn't even bother mailing Christmas cards or invites to the party we're holding on New Year's Day)  We surprised folks... shared coffee and laughs and moved on to the next house..... I had such warm fuzzy feelings....... it was just like the 'good old days'.  It made me realize how much the electronic world has taken away from us......... how good it is for the soul to sit and talk and visit face to face........ 

Life is good when old memories are new again........

~~~~~~~~~~~

And in case anyone is interested...... here is the recipe for Moose Milk -- no wonder we kids weren't allowed even a taste

Ingredients

  • 1 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
  • 1 gallon milk
  • 4 3/4 cups dark rum
  • 4 3/4 cups coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua(R))
  • 4 3/4 cups vodka
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg, or to taste (optional)

Directions

  1. Whisk vanilla ice cream, milk, rum, coffee liqueur, and vodka in a large punch bowl until frothy and liquid; garnish with nutmeg. Ladle into punch mugs.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Morningstar,

    Oh I so loved reading this. What wonderful, sweet memories. Especially falling asleep snuggled up to your father. I too remember visiting in the lead up to Christmas. It's something I carried on into my adult life, though sadly, not so much these days.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh, I forgot to add. Wow, that Mouse milk sounds awesome! But so bad lol. Might have to try this. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful memories. Never heard of Moose milk before. Sounds lovely but very potent:)

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts