Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Vanity



"vanity thy name is woman" - now i always thought that was a quote from Shakespeare......... but it would seem i was wrong - the actual quote is "fraility thy name is woman" ... However for the purposes of this blog... and begging Shakespeare's pardon.. "Vanity thy name is woman" is my theme today....



i was going through some pictures on my pc this week....... pictures of myself going back 2 years........ and i was aghast at what i saw!! Two years ago my hair started to fall out in clumps... and i developed some serious health problems. Truthfully i was more concerned about the bald patches than i was the health issues. Vanity thy name is woman!!!

The medical profession concocted potions and pills that i had to swill down ... but they did nothing for the bald patches......... My hairdresser worked over time to try and offer some help .. some support.. but the very best he could do was chop it all off and try and camouflage the empty spaces. Two years ago..........i had this knot in the pit of my stomach every time i washed or styled my hair..... i HATED it... i hated how it made me look and feel........ god Vanity thy name is woman !!!

Sir never said a word....... He was there supporting and helping and advising.. but not a word did He say about the lack of hair. Two years........ i can't believe it has been that long now....... Sometime in November Sir looked at me and said "your hair looks great!!!" and it did! Slowly it had started to grow back..... and now it is chin length again and manageable.. and a bit curly .. and healthy.. and i feel so much more a woman again!!!

But i learned some important lessons in those 2 years of healing....... and sometimes i forget them.. (like over the past couple of weeks)

1) i am NOT perfect....... i make mistakes.. and it is OK to make mistakes...

2) that the body needs to be pampered and cared for and not ignored.. if ignored it will bite you in the ass

3) Sir doesn't care if my hair is mousey and "ugly" He only cares that i am not taking care of myself...... His toy........

i owe my Sir a huge debt of gratitude.. and i forget that sometimes - being so wrapped up in bald spots and poor health and yes VANITY ......... He never waivered from my side during those 2 years.. He supported and cared and (dare i say) loved me despite everything.... On Sunday on Sir's orders i pulled on the lacey black dress i had bought Him for His birthday.... fluffed my hair and put on make up and came down the stairs to greet our guests..... and Sir looked at me and told me i looked great!!! and like the grinch.. my heart grew 3 sizes...... only it took 3 days for me to remember those words.. to remember i am valued and loved and cared for despite everything - or maybe because of everything!

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous drawing of a beautiful woman. Thank you for yet another wonderful post morningstar. You are loved. Keep smiling.
    Hugs,
    ~gina~

    ReplyDelete
  2. True words well spoken

    ReplyDelete
  3. your words have touched Me...

    Sir
    Owner of morningstar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:11 pm

    *hugs*
    You are doing ok... even when you are having a bad day (and where else should you be able to vent about bad days but here?) your love and respect for your Sir shines through.
    Beautiful post...:)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts