Friday, February 26, 2021

Home Schooling


I haven't done a home school update in awhile......... 

We've been muddling along - most of my work this year is instilling confidence in the lil one that she 'can do this' ....... she's such a perfectionist.  Took me a while to realize but if she makes 1 mistake in math she thinks she is failing......... le sigh........ so I've been working on 1) no one is perfect 2) we don't expect her to be perfect 3) she's got this!  It helped that her report card came home last Friday and she really is acing the year.  And her math was a solid B YAY!!

We've also been doing her cooking club ..... in January Sir Steve pitched in when he got home from work to make the meals cause I was down for the count with my back/ass/leg issues.  This month is family fun month.... and we made her first recipe this week - corn muffins with cheese and bacon.

 


Her ability to read a recipe and follow directions has really improved - even her measurements are dead on now...... no getting confused by the fractions of measuring etc.  YAY!!

The one thing I found curious was this picture..........

 


It was for french class and she had to draw a picture of her family.  It's been an ongoing project all week and I haven't been allowed to see it.  But yesterday she brought it out to share with me......... she drew "Daddy and Mommy and S and herself" ....... on the far right is Mommy and Daddy...... then on the left is myself and the lil one.

Daddy and Mommy are holding hands
the lil one and I are holding hands
There is a gap between the 2 sets

I'm honestly not too sure what to make of it... I do know not to make too much out of a kid's drawing  -- usually it's just what it is - a drawing.  

We have declared Thursday - movie night - which means supper in front of the Disney channel.  This is a big treat as there is no television during the week.  Last night we had homemade individual pizzas and watched the latest super hero movie.......it was really good!! we all had a good laugh 



 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 



for Fridays!!!



11 comments:

  1. Yay for Friday! ( Though B goes back to work today- could still be a yay *wink*)

    Congrats on the Little Person for doing well in school, but a big congrats to you! I cannot tell you how many times I have been thankful that our youngest was out of school the year before the pandemic hit. Our oldest has dyslexia so when he was your little ones age I would have to (re) teach him everything he learned in school that day, that was NOT fun. I cannot fathom teaching at home with all the creature comforts and distractions as well as the isolation these poor little people are going through.

    As for the picture- maybe Mommy and she are so far apart because of their skirts ( very Jetson like btw)? And I did notice the fishnets Mommy is wearing too :)

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. willie - how do you feel about B going back to work?? Sir Steve has worked straight through everything - because construction is essential? LOL

      I didn't notice the fishnet stockings LOL if you knew Mother you would understand the humour to this... I don't think I have ever seen mother in a dress! (more likely pjs LOL) never mind fishnets??!! LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh sorry, no he just had 2 days off. He was laid off from the end of March until the 3rd week of July last year, but since then he has been working none stop

      Delete
  2. Hi Morningstar, yay for Friday's indeed! That means sleep in's, of sorts lol.

    Glad to hear the lil one is doing so well with school. That is all due to your hard work with her. The muffins look great. The cooking club was such a fantastic idea.

    The drawing is interesting, though as you said. Don't try to read anything into it.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:31 am

    Ah, a nice domestic update with all positive notes. Great way to enjoy a Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Morningstar!

    I am so glad to see things are going well for homeschooling. I wish I had a shot that we could give to her that would fill her up with confidence, but of course with you by her side I have no doubt she will find her confidence.

    The best thing I have heard is "practice makes permanent" I like that saying much more than "practice makes perfect".

    As for the picture, I see it as you are her safe place. The one that doesn't lie and is true and constant in her world. Although, it could just be a picture.

    I love the cooking club! I always thought kids learn fractions better if they baked/cooked.

    Hugs
    Boo

    P.S. I have decided Blogger hates me. It keeps not letting me comment! I tried to comment on Blondie's article and on Windy's latest post and Blogger yelled at me! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boos - funny I asked the lil one if she would like Mommy back in the house and her immediate answer was "NO cause then you wouldn't be here and you make memories for me Mommy doesn't!"

      and agreed the cooking club is teaching many lessons aside from cooking/baking - and building confidence is one of the lessons :)

      BTW did you get an email from me?

      Delete
    2. Morningstar- Out of the mouths of babes! Kids are stupid smart and their instincts are almost always bang on. She knows you will be there always!

      Just saw the email, will read it now.

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy home schooling is going so well for the both of you! Maybe, maybe school can be 'normal' next year. At least there's a chance. Movie night sounds great. My kids loved game night too. We found even a 4 year old could become a UNO champion !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PK
      I'm really holding out hope for next September -- according to the government I should be vaccinated this summer (fingers crossed) and then I would feel safer sending her to school... but Sir Steve has the last word obviously

      We play games frequently - and we were looking for a reward activity - she really doesn't watch TV all week so a movie night is VERY exciting... We are thinking of using it as incentive for good work habits all week....

      Delete
  6. I think that your proximity to her in the drawing is a huge positive! She clearly feels that she has more attachment to you than to mummy... and perhaps mummy and daddy holding hands is just something that social norms have taught her so it's a bit of an automatic thing.

    i think it's a good sign..

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts