Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Adding some Green.......

 


 

Our blogger friend Fondles has been posting about her plants....... and I have to admit to being a little bit envious.  In the last 10 years or so I have had no success keeping any plants alive.  After some reflection I came to the conclusion it was lack of good sunlight in my homes.  Best example - my Christmas cactus hasn't bloomed in forever!!  And I used to have the most beautiful Christmas cactus - it would bloom for Christmas - some years keeping those blooms till almost Easter and other years blooming again in time for Easter.

In our new home we have windows facing every single direction there is... got us some north facing windows, south facing, east facing and west facing.  I have hopes - high hopes - of being able to fill our home with beautiful plants.   

This past weekend the 3 plants I have - a peace lily that does bloom once a year... my sickly Christmas cactus and my miniature poinsettia - were moved to the new house and are in the west facing window (until I figure out which window they would prefer.)

When Sir Steve and I were out in the shops - I came across a jasmine plant.  I love the scent from the jasmine!  Have jasmine essential oils cause they just make me feel happy.   I couldn't resist it.  Trust me when I say the money could well have been spent on stuff we HAVE to have for this move...... but I splurged and bought it - along with a pretty pot to put it in.  

When we got home I popped it into the new pot .... gave it a good drink ... and placed it in the west facing kitchen window.  In no time at all the scent from the flowers had filled the kitchen.... even Sir Steve commented on it.  

 


My dream is to keep my jasmine plant alive ........ and blooming!!  I want to add more plants..... and more plants...... and MORE!!!  ("please Sir - may I have some more?") Sir Steve mentioned he'd like a money plant...


I'm thinking it might be the next purchase  - mainly cause it's readily available here.  It is supposed to bring peace and harmony to the home.   

I've got my fingers crossed that I'll have success with my new project/hobby... 

and not land up like this........... 


 

11 comments:

  1. I think you're going to enjoy all those windows and plants. If you know how to start a cutting from a Christmas cactus I'd love some advice. I want to start one from my MIL beautiful plant. Now if you end up getting a money plant, I would definitely like a cutting from it. Good luck with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cuttings?? I don't have a clue how to do cuttings LOL - but I intend to learn!!
      AND I did get Sir Steve a money plant.... he almost never asks for anything so when he does I like to surprise him :)

      Delete
  2. Your Jasmine plant looks lovely.

    I'm not very good with plant that have flowers, never seem to last like my poinsettia for example, bought middle December and now no flowers or leaves.

    We have a money plant that's not doing to good, need to google to see how to take cuttings.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to buy plants - if they died I didn't buy them again... over the years I have discovered which plants live well with me (grinning)
      This time though, I would like to try some new plants.... I have been reading up on the money tree plant - it doesn't like a lot of water only 3 tbsps every week - the jasmine needs pampering - we'll see how I do....

      Delete
  3. Morningstar,

    I kill cacti.....I have no idea what happens. I used to have a green thumb, but not for the longest time. I have managed to keep alive an aleo vera plant and and orchid....by ignoring them. The orhid hasn't bloomed in 3 years, but I have green leaves. The aloe mother plant died off and I got a "baby".

    I hope the new house is full of GREEN!
    hugs
    boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL ! I'm impressed I kill my orchids in days.. and it always breaks my heart - I love them so much!!

      Delete
  4. I don't do houseplants much, but my favourite was always my Coleus (Painted nettle). Tough as old boots. Coloured leaves always looked nice, so no waiting for flowers. And I could go away for three weeks, come home to find it all droopy, give it a drink of water and the next day it would be in recovery. Everyone should have a Coleus, at least once in their lifetime.

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welllllll Prefectdt - if I don't have any success with my new venture/hobby - I'll go buy me a Coleus... (I don't know why but I think I have had them in the garden in the summer as an annual

      Delete
    2. They do make a good summer annual, but you can keep them year round, indoors.

      Prefectdt

      Delete
  5. Good on you Morningstar, wishing you the best of luck with the plants. I definitely do not have a green thumb, but I've managed to keep orchids alive. I have three and I love them.

    The jasmine looks lovely, I love the smell too.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roz - you're gonna have to share your secrets to success with orchids.... I love them - but they seem to die right after moving in here with us... someone suggested that they might have gotten a chill from the cold - but I have bought them in the summer ......

    So share your secrets Roz! pleaseeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts