Monday, March 01, 2021

Mundane Monday

 


Friday night I said to Sir Steve "I love Fridays - the weekends always hold such promise - like believing I might actually sleep in"
 
And we had plans for the weekend - a road trip!! 

ok we were only going to the butchers - but usually it's a great drive - on back country roads through farm country and small towns with so much character.   By the time we left the house - around 10ish - it was snowing lightly....... I wasn't concerned cause the weather man had said it wouldn't be bad maybe 2 cms then it would rain..... Why I believe the weather man is beyond me!!  By the time we got to the butchers (45 minute drive) it was a blizzard..... coming home I white knuckled it - we couldn't see the road in places ... couldn't see the car in front of us... UGH!  AND youngest daughter and SIL were coming from Quebec and I was stressing about them on the highway.

We made it safe and sound and so did youngest daughter.  I was excited to see them - but also they were bringing us Quebec bagels and Quebec cheese bagels (sort of like cheese danish) .......... Youngest daughter never lets us in her house when we visit her..... and she wouldn't come into our house.. in fact she and SIL wore masks while they were here ..... le sigh......... I'm not sure who they are worried about - them infecting me or me infecting them........... but seriously!!??  Obviously there were no hugs - no touching at all......... I miss hugging my kids ya know?! Anyway - it was bloody cold outside visiting with them ....... and my feet were frozen by the time they left.  We opened the bag of bagels - WTF??? they didn't bring my plain ones....... dietary restrictions mean I can only have plain ones........ and they forgot .. colour me sad.  AND the cheese bagels when Sir Steve and I had them - were stale and hardly any cheese in them.  Colour me disappointed
 
Sunday was spent getting some mundane house chores done - I got Sir Steve to help me change the duvet cover.  I can do it myself... but it's so much easier with 2 people!!  No one told me what a challenge it is to change the covers.........
We have had this one on our bed since November................... 
 
 
And changed to this one for the spring/summer. 




OH and Sunday night Sir Steve ordered us some fish from a cute lil restaurant near us.. I have been craving fried clams.. wasn't on their menu BUT they did have clam chowder so Sir Steve asked if it was possible to get me my fried clams - and they agreed!!  (hear me cheer) a bright spot in the weekend 




Remember my hopes of sleeping in on the weekend on Friday night?
People say I am a pessimist -- BUT hoping that I will sleep in is my being more than a little optimistic!!

Saturday morning I woke up at 5:30 -- wow!!  full 30 minutes!!!  Sunday still held promise for a longer sleep in ... a decadent time lounging around in bed......... we watched a movie till late (well late for us) it was 11:30 when we crawled into bed..... and my last thought was - 'well now I WILL sleep in cause yeah 11:30!!"

Around 3 am my eyes popped open...... (oh I should add - it was mild for us and I had opened the bedroom window wider than usual) I could hear voices - happy voices.. singing voices... laughing voices... drunk voices ........walking past our house le sigh.... at least they were walking!

I finally managed to drift back off to sleep -- when around 5:30 I heard A voice outside our window.......... GAH!!  That was it...... I gave up..... and got up........ 
There's always next weekend ............. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

the chance to see my youngest daughter - if only for a short time....


 

20 comments:

  1. Ah, the elusive sleep in! One can hope! I am glad the kids came to visit even if it was cold and no hugs. Seeing them is good. But stale bagels? From Quebec? Why oh why would they do that!!!!! Sigh.

    I'm glad you had some good times this weekend.

    Hugs
    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Boo - what for you ask? for your "I'm glad you had some good times this weekend" for some reason this morning I am only seeing the negatives... and working myself into a good cry...

      yeah stale bagels - Sir Steve says from now on when we get a craving for good bagels - we'll take a road trip to Quebec and go to our favourite bagel joint...... me thinks I won't be having a craving for a longgggggg time (le sigh)

      Delete
    2. Sometimes you have to count just the little things. It helps. Of course, a good cry is therapeutic too!

      Delete
  2. Gosh 30 whole minutes?

    Lol. yes, there's always next weekend. And i'm so sorry about the bagels... i suppose the blizzard didn't help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always write in my head as I go to sleep. I have since I was a kid and i know now it helps me sleep in the morning. I wake at five and just work on scenes, if I fall asleep, great. If I keep writing great. My husband only wakes and starts worrying about work that day.

    I love both of your bed covers! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PK - know what I do when I am falling asleep? I have a file box (in my head) of dreams - and I run through the list and pick one - the nights I find a 'good' movie I fall asleep quickly -- but for some reason that method doesn't work at the end of the night........

      Delete
  4. Fondles - not sure what the reason for the stale cheese bagels was...... but it doesn't bode well for their continued business.. I know we won't be going to them when the cravings hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lot of excitement with a few little let downs this weekend for you. So glad you got see family. Hang in there a bit longer with all of us being extra careful and not letting our guard down. For us, we have zero exposure so if another family member can work from home and isolate for 2 weeks, then we will get together with them without masks. Otherwise, forget it. I have asthma and I 'aint playin'. :)

    I could visualize your white knuckle drive. Those are scary, but also kind of make it an interesting adventure. So glad all of you stayed safe though.

    I hope your afternoon goes better for you emotionally. Hugs, Windy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Windy - I was thinking of you this morning cause I had a knee jerk reaction to something Sir Steve didn't do.. sent him a snarky message on FB.... then went 'geee if we were in an HOH or Dd house I'd be getting my ass tanned for that comment. (grinning) BUT when it's the truth ......................

    I get the taking precautions - and as I have cancer and asthma AND am in that fun age group..... I need to be careful too...... it's just sometimes ya know.. I just want things to be normal - at least with my own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's driving everybody crazy, causing depression, etc. Glad you are being safe though.

    Laughing that you thought of me when you got snarky. I do get the most pissed at things he "doesn't do" when I think he should. Hmph! My ass is still chafed today, so I am behaving. For now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get the excitement of 30 mins extra sleep. Heck I am happy if there isn't a 4 on the clock when I wake up!

    So you mean Montreal style bagels? Because I don't know what Quebec bagels are if you don't .

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the past you use to order your bagels via St. Viateur bagel ( https://www.stviateurbagel.com/ ) when we couldn't get back to Montreal, have you stopped ordering from them, was there a problem???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They insist on large orders - we didn't want 6 dozen bagels..... AND more importantly they don't have the cheese bagels we were looking for (the ones that are more danish than bagel)

      Delete
  10. sorry willie -yes Montreal style bagels... they are THE best!! the cheese bagels though - the ones we like - are not "cheese bagels" ...... but more like a cheese danish... in a horseshoe shape...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had a pretty good weekend. Life is always throwing us curveballs and it is always changing. Thankful too for the time with your youngest daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually I DID have a good weekend Blondie - it didn't go exactly like I expected but still it was good :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why does sleeping in get harder as you get older. In my twenties Sunday did not start untill 2 pm sometimes. Now I'm cheering if I can stay asleep till 7 am and even that does not happen too often

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhhhhhhh isn't it the truth Prefectdt... I used to LOVE sleeping in... then I got old... le sigh

      Delete
  14. Sorry you didn't quite get the weekend you wanted, and no sleep ins. I would be pissed at 30 minutes lol. Seeing your daughter though, and fried clams :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  15. nodding nodding YESSSSSSSS fried clams !! I love love love them! and good ones are relatively rare here...I was impressed they were willing to make me something that wasn't on the menu ya know??

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts