Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Small Step Forward

 


 How many of you have 'date nights'?  OR I should say - used to have date nights??
I loved them!  Sir Steve would pick one weekend a month and we'd have a date night - usually dinner at a restaurant and a movie - or a play.  It was wonderful - something to look forward to - especially during the winter months.  

BUT date nights came to a screaming halt a year ago.  OH we tried to replicate them at home.. ordered in dinners... movie on Netflix - but it just wasn't the same ya know??

This weekend the stars aligned.........
First it was sunny and reasonably warm (like 59 degrees F - or 15 C) ...
Second our favourite food truck opened .........
We decided to drive over and get dinner on Saturday night........ BUT ... I asked Sir Steve if maybe we could ... possibly... eat there too!!??? The caveat was - it couldn't be busy/crowded.

This food truck has 'gourmet' fast food - for example - a Greek burger or Bacon Mac and cheese poutine (poutine is french fries covered in gravy and cheese curds) or Naan wraps like Pulled Pork Naan. AND the portions are HUGE (yes Fondles HUGE - grinning - we do like HUGE around here LOL)

The stars were truly aligned !!  The truck was busy - BUT no one was eating there (probably cause the tables were in the shade and it was a tad chilly)....that didn't deter us... we ordered - took the first table and 'chowed' down.  It was the BEST!! not just the food - BUT the eating out - literally and figuratively

This was the food truck............. 


 

the cutlery is stored in containers that dispense one at a time - tucked under the hood


 

and picnic tables...... for your dining pleasure. (socially distanced)

 


This might have been one of the best date nights EVER!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Question Period...... 

As it would happen PK asked a question that sorta goes with today's post...... 

"Have you always lived in the great white north? Ever tried anything warmer? Everyone like where they live, but it really does sound cold up there for a long time each year."

Yup always lived here... though I have moved provinces... born and raised in Quebec and moved to Ontario when I retired. BUT the weather didn't really change.  Ever winter I bitch about the snow and the cold - and how I wished we lived somewhere warmer - but you know there's always a trade off - for example British Columbia - specifically Vancouver - is not nearly as cold as the other provinces... and they don't get as much snow.. BUT they get rain...... days and days and days of rain.  and yeah our winters can be long - we tend to say 6 months of winter -- BUT truthfully it isn't that long.. not actual winter - snow and cold.  This year we didn't have any snow till after Christmas! We only had about 2 or 3 major snow events... and only a couple of weeks of extreme cold (like -30C which is -22F) and here it is end of March and our temperatures are up to +19 (yesterday) which is 66F. 

Thanks for the question PK !!

16 comments:

  1. Try Victoria, British Columbia

    148 days of rain 27.8in 705mm

    Beats Vancouver, British Columbia

    168 days of rain 57.3in 1457mm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit confused ... I am assuming the 148 days of rain is for Vancouver ?? It reads as though it was Victoria.

    BUT I was just pointing out no matter where you go there's a trade off of one sort or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the 148days is for Victoria not Vancouver.

      Delete
    2. so I was right then saying Vancouver had of rain ... Victoria pulls a close second :)

      Delete
    3. Never said you were " wrong " only that my point was that Victoria had LESS amount of rain ( maybe same amount of day ) so maybe you should think about Victoria vs Vancouver that is all..

      Delete
    4. Now I understand what you were saying... BUT good grief we're not moving - not even thinking of it!! We love our lil corner of Ontario :)

      Delete
  3. True about where you live. Southern Ontario doesn't get nearly as much winter as we get. Generally less snow due to lake affect than the Northern US on the other side of the lakes/ borders. We took our snowshoes a few weeks ago and headed 3 hours away...no snow! Lol

    Happy you had your dinner out.

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when my parents moved to Toronto - one of the first exodus out of Quebec - my dad complained it didn't snow in TO - only person I ever met who LOVED shovelling!! I loved how little snow we got in Kingston (compared to Quebec) but love here even more as we get snow but not much and it's gone so fast!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the answer. We occasionally get temps in the teens F, but we see that as extremely cold and it rarely last. During the summer it can easily be 98 degrees F and extremely humid. That's when I'd like to visit up your way. But for a big part of our year it's between 50 and 80 and I like that pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhhhhhhh PK we can get temps in the 90's in the summer with 100% humidity -- I love it - but then I don't have to do anything much in the summer and last summer spent the hot days in the pool :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry, I forgot date night! It sound wonderful! We have a food truck in the next town that sounds something like this - really great food. Now you've made me think of it there might be a trip in our future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to regard food trucks with a whole lot of skepticism - and concern about cleanliness - but there are food trucks out there that are as good as any restaurant..... in fact some have brick and mortar buildings as well as trucks!!
      AND as long as this pandemic is around - food trucks out of the city are gonna be my go to's

      Delete
  6. I've lived in Ireland (where the winters are the WORST - occasional snow but dreary cold RAIN and grey days), Miami, Grand Bahamas, Eastern Townships, Montreal, New Brunswick and various places in Ontario - give me my four seasons ANY DAY - Autumn is my very favourite season, closely followed by Spring, Winter THEN summer so yeah, give my Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have to have the rain to get the lush greenery. That's the plus sice of the trade-off and probably why I like Wales so much

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Morningstar,

    Your date night sounded wonderful and the food truck looks fantastic! Happy you were able to finally have a dining out experience, if a little chilly lol.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahah to your "HUGE" - why me tho? why me? LOL. I get it.

    that food truck looks super cool. we don't have anything like that here. sadly. I've always wanted to have them so we can do the thing we see people do in the movies! is that silly? hahah.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts