Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Blogging

 


 

Continuing with March questions......... 

Willie asked:

I have a question for March- You said on Windy's blog that you didn't start blogging to make friends. What was it that had you drawn to blogging? Has your purpose for blogging changed over the years?

 
This question really made me stop and think...... and made me look honestly at my blogging...... 

If you take a peak over on the right side - my list of blog entries by year - you'll see I started blogging back in 2005.  I don't remember how I found BDSM blogs on line - BUT I do remember which ones I first read - "Under his hand" (remember Tess?) .. and then there was the "Heron Clan" (remember swan and Tom and their poly relationship?) and there was Lisa's blog - for the life of me I can't remember what her original blog was - but her current one is Purple Alligator.   I read them every single day -- watched for them and fussed if they didn't post.  Blogging didn't seem so strange to me - the one who received her first diary at the age of 10 and in the following years filled notebooks with daily entries.  

What was strange and new to me was writing on line and having anyone come and read it... wasn't sure I liked that idea.  BUT I could write about BDSM - my "journey" into the community - and self discovery.  I was in a D/s relationship at the time and asked and was given permission to start my blog.  Originally I only wrote about BDSM - spankings and service and toys and pain and clubs ......... I corresponded with Tess and swan and lisa... I never thought of it as forming friendships.. but I guess in a lot of ways I was........  There was a humorous episode that involved toothpicks and ass cracks and Tess and her Master and my Dom and I became embroiled in.  We thought it was just between us...... it was more joke than anything else -- but then it turned out that folks from all over had read about it (either on her blog or on mine) and the challenge started going around the states and one or two countries in Europe.  BOY did we have a good laugh!!  (but it also showed me how folks interpret what they read on line)

Those first few years The Journey was only about BDSM - there was little talk about real life ........... until I got sick... very sick ... and my then Sir reported on here about my health......  I used to really struggle about writing about something other than BDSM on here... but the truth of the matter is......... life is about more than BDSM... and if this was going to be an authentic telling of my life then it had to be about all facets of life.   For a while there was NO BDSM in my life and I didn't know if there ever would be again.  My readers came and commented - they encouraged me to write... about anything and everything.......... and so I did........ and now truthfully The Continued Journey is about life... with all it's warts and joys... 

I like to think my purpose in blogging has changed vastly....... I used to think I knew so much about BDSM -- after all - back in the day I was very involved in the local community and in communities across the border.  I ran a submissive group in real life ... I went to 'conventions' .... and then when I was with the 'two Sirs" I often participated in demos.

I was asked just recently about the visitors to my blog.... and I answered honestly that I didn't know where they came from and that I honestly didn't care.  IF people come and read - they come and read.  If they don't ... shrug.. they don't.  I honestly write what pops into my head on any day.  The hardest thing about writing is folks misunderstanding what I write........ eg - I'll write something tongue in cheek and folks take it very seriously.  (even IF I announce it is a tongue in cheek entry)  BUT I am learning to 'just let it go"

Now i think i have handled your question willie - if there's something I missed just let me know :)

16 comments:

  1. Great that a seemingly curious question can make one stop and think really seriously and reflect on our journeys! Love this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going back 16 years to when I started made me realize how much my blogging has changed :) Now my writing is more "my life" and a whole lot less BDSM - which is really ok isn't it?? :)

      Delete
    2. have u seen my blog? half of it is family woes, the other half are personal pursuits (health, studying, fashion... LOL). once in a while i throw in some kink. heh.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:58 pm

    Wow! Wonder what happened to the Heron Clan? I know Tess's story and hope she and family are healing. I've read you for years and contribute sometimes. I like your outlook on life. Please never stop unless you tell us you are going to. It is very sad and worrisome to faithful readers when a blogger just STOPS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Heron Clan went through some really horrible times... we kept in touch for awhile but then they just sorta disappeared off my radar. There are days I still wonder what became of them.

      And I promise I won't ever just go POOF - or at least that's my plan -- cause I agree it is TOO sad when one loses a blog 'friend' :)

      Delete
    2. Actually Tom and Sue are BACK blogging! Just recently - check them out - so lovely so see them back

      Delete
    3. selkie - thank you for letting me know about the Heron clan. I was so excited and went and found them. I was going to leave a message -- BUT something Tom said in his first post.. and the fact that the Journey is on their reading list but I have heard nothing from them leads me to believe I may be persona non grata.

      Delete
  3. Hi, MS,
    I have read here as often as I can and have enjoyed your blog. I'm thankful to those that have the commitment to write long term. It's always a journey, isn't it?
    Hope you are doing well.
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment Baker -- and life IS a journey!! I slowly learning :)

      Delete
  4. I remember Swan well. I used to worry when she would post identifying pictures while she was still teaching. I think it's good for us to go back and trace our journeys over the years. After all we're supposed to grow and change, right? And I think it does us good to talk to people that understand our desires. Before I used to feel so strange, like I was the only one to feel this way. I feel more normal now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I found the BDSM community I felt so "I'm Home!" I think I was lucky to have those years actively out in the community. It does help us to feel not so weird :)

      Delete
  5. Hey MS

    Thanks for taking the time with my question. So you started blogging about BDSM stuff because you thought you had a lot of knowledge to share and over the course of time it has morphed into an online journal of sorts?

    My follow up question would be, what is it that you get from blogging?

    I understand what you mean when you say *if* people read they read, but I find it challenging to continue to write when the interaction has dwindled. I do write to process but it would be nice to go back in time 6 years before ....well that part isn't important I suppose, but back in time when interaction was greater .
    I could write several times a week back then and truly feel the support and comradery, which pushed me further. So if readers don't matter as you said, how do you do it? Or why I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. willie I can understand why you said "you thought you had a lot of knowledge to share" I probably didn't word it clearly... like any lurker reading - all these blogs I was reading sounded so experienced.. I realized I too had knowledge and that I could write a blog as well (any better? or is it still as clear as mud?)

      What do I get out of blogging ?? about the same as what I got from keeping journals ... a history to look back on. However it's so much easier to find past entries - only have to scroll through the list on the right instead of dragging out journal after journal from the office. ALSO an online journal takes up a whole lot less space (grinning)

      How do I write if I don't write for others? I'm not sure I can answer that - how did I write for years and years with pen and paper? I just did. why do I write ? it's a passion I guess...

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:57 pm

    I think often of Tess and wonder how she is now. I hope she is well. I may have found you via Tess or Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Morningstar,

    That's a great question and I enjoyed reading your answer. Interesting how our reason for blogging, and what we blog changes over time.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morningstar, I raly did enjoy reading your answer to the question.

    I used to read The Heron Clan, so great that Selkie has let us know they are back.

    Question - What's you favourite part of TTWD?

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts