Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Past - Present - Future

 



 

The discussions around blog land this week - seems to be 'we used to' ... 'in the past'.... I mostly love the past - have good memories from the past.  Some days (I admit it!) I miss the 'good old days' but mostly I just muddle along in the present.... accepting the nostalgic feelings as just part of life.

On my post 'Christmas Prep' I wrote about all the baking we did last weekend.  I had a number of comments re the cherry bread.  PK asked if I would/could post the recipe... and it hit me - a blogger used to organise the Great Cookie Swap during the month of December.  I think I participated one year....... but it seemed like so much work... and I usually had more than enough work going on in December.  And to be truthful - a virtual cookie swap wasn't something I could wrap my head around......... 

BUT I have never guarded my recipes like some state secret.. especially in this day of Google.  Hell you see my post about cherry bread - you google it .. you get pages and pages of recipes. AND on top of that..... kdpierre of 'Collected Submissions' is holding a 'cocktail party' next week and put out a call for recipes for drinks.

I realized I have more than one recipe that is CANADIAN - and I am a PROUD Canadian - and want to brag a little bit through food!  (though you won't likely find a recipe for poutine on here).......... (are you still with me?? I am getting to the point - I promise!)

All that to say......... PK - yes I share recipes..... and kd I know you got my recipe but check out the picture on here cause I couldn't figure out how to upload a photo to the comment section!!

(drum roll please - here come the recipes)

Cherry Bread - 

this recipe is from Newfoundland - and I have to say - after many years of trying various cherry bread recipes this is the BEST one !!!

 Prep Time 30 mins

Cook Time 1 hr

The secret in this recipe is undiluted evaporated milk for added richness.

Servings: 32 Servings (1 large cake or 2 smaller 8x4 inch loaves)

Ingredients

  • 1 pound chopped  cherries + 1/4 cup flour (2 cups)
  • 1 ½ cups butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp almond extract
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup lukewarm undiluted evaporated milk

Instructions

1.     Rinse the cherries in a colander to remove any syrup that they may have been stored in. Pat them day between layers of paper towels.This step helps prevent the cherries sinking into the batter as well. Depending on their size, cut them into halves or quarters and set aside for later. They will get tossed in 1/4 cup of flour later but not until just before they are folded into the batter.

2.     Cream together the butter and sugar well.

3.     Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffy.

4.     Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts.

5.     Sift together the 3 cups of flour and baking powder.

6.     Fold dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with the lukewarm milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. As a general rule, I add the dry ingredients in 3 portions and the milk in 2 portions.

7.     Fold in the chopped glace cherries that have been tossed at the last minute in the 1/4 cup flour.

8.     Bake in greased and floured spring form pan, tube pan or 2 loaf pans, lined with parchment paper. Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes - 1 hour depending upon the size of your pan.

9.     Baking times vary greatly on this recipe so rely on the toothpick test to ensure that it is properly baked. When a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, its done. Be careful not to go past this stage or the cake will be dry.

10.Let the cake cool in the pan/s for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Ever hear of Moosemilk?? it's an alcoholic drink that my family served at Christmas - here's the back story AND the recipe that I shared with kd.



The Ritual (Canadian Navy)

"At least once in every port, the moose runs loose, so party time begins with a toast of Moosemilk, a Canadian Tradition - only in Canada you say!
So don your moose hat and shirt, toast your NATO friends and let them see what a friendly salty moose you are
"The Moose is Loose" 

 Adjust quantities according to company.
prep:10 mins
total:10 mins
Servings:8
Yield:8 servings

Ingredients

12 fluid ounces heavy whipping cream
12 fluid ounces milk
4 fluid ounces vodka
4 fluid ounces dark rum
2 fluid ounces Irish cream liqueur (such as Baileys®)
2 fluid ounces coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua®)
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 pinch ground nutmeg, or more to taste
1 pinch ground cinnamon, or more to taste

Directions

Blend cream, milk, vodka, rum, Irish cream liqueur, coffee-flavored liqueur, ice cream, nutmeg, and cinnamon together in a blender until smooth.

  Life is good when home baking brings friends together - even virtually !

4 comments:

  1. I love the recipe and I know it would be delicious, but it seems hard to me. I am truly NO cook. But it might be fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these Morningstar, love the sound of the mousemilk!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also wondering where the great cookie exchange went. I think last year was the first time I participated but I wanted to do it again. Another tradition gone.

    Thanks for the recipe. I will try it this year.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was JZ that had the cookie exchange every year - I know she always extended you an invitation! We had a blast with it and I got some amazing cookie and bar recipes as a result. this year - it IS 2020 - it is not on due to various reasons and will be sadly missed. A HUGE undertaking after all by JZ - amazing woman!

    May give that Cherry Bread a try although not a fan of cherries. I'm making a "skinny" version of Starbucks' cranberry bliss bar - will see how it turns out.

    Hopefully next year the Great Cookie Exchange will start up again!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts