Tuesday, October 27, 2020

OCD

 


We had a dear soul who lived 3 doors down from us (she has since moved - into a group home I am hoping).  I would see her leaving her house and she would get to the bottom of her stairs and have to turn in circles - 3 or 4 times (honestly I never actually counted)  She would get to street corners and the turning in circles ritual would happen again - both stepping down off the curb and stepping up on the other side.  I always fussed that she would get hit by a car.

That is OCD at it's worst I think.

My mom had OCD - though I am sure it was never diagnosed as such...... but she would wash her kitchen floor every single day...... EVERY SINGLE DAY! She washed her hands constantly (she'd do well through this pandemic).  She had lists and routines and god forbid if something happened that altered those routines.  AND everything had a place and was in it's place.  A lesson she drilled into me!

I joke that I have OCD...... (mine is actually diagnosed) I tend to joke about a lot of things that bug me.  and yes my OCD bugs me.  

My OCD (see my ownership of this?!)  manifests itself in routines and schedules.  My life is good when my routines and schedules aren't disturbed.... BUT if something happens that disrupts my schedules/routines one of two things happens........ I either get very bitchy!  OR I get very panicky.

Yesterday I had the dentist appointment....... on a Monday.  BUT Monday is laundry day.  I figured I would be able to get it done when I got home - the eternal optimist that I am!!  BUT despite getting a good report from the dentist (the infection has healed - the bone migrating out of the gums is totally normal - and I need to be patient cause the time frame to heal is not a week or two but more like 6 - 8 weeks!!) I still came home with a headache.  I managed to get 2 loads of laundry done....... but there were still 2 loads sitting on the laundry room floor... AND.... I still had to strip the beds and do the bed linens and the towels.  I was very 'adult' and announced at dinner time that I would finish the laundry tomorrow......... 

I said the words out loud - but inside my gut flip flopped.  There was laundry on the floor!!! OMG!!!! Ask me if I had a good sleep last night.......... le sigh.

The minute Sir Steve left the house this morning I was in the laundry room doing laundry!!!  It will be done by the time he comes home... the laundry room will be all tidy again..... and my world will once again spin smoothly through the universe.


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're handling this OCD as well as anyone I know with it. Thankfully, I am not afflicted. Is there an opposite of OCD - I may have that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morningstar,

    I can totally relate to this as an undiagnosed fellow OCD sufferer. Good on you for keeping a lid on it with the laundry. I know how hard that it to do.

    My OCD manifests in routines too and also having to have everything tidy and in its place.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts