Wednesday, May 06, 2020

It Arrived!!!








Excitement reigned supreme yesterday !!

Like everyone I have been shopping online for non-essential BUT really want to have items. There are still umpteen packages - travelling some circuitous route logical only to those shipping it - still to arrive at our doorstep..... things like pompom makers.... a kit to make hand puppets.... sparkly pipe cleaners... pillow cases that never arrived - colour me sad - but that I did get refunded for.......... 

AND.......... the one package that was ordered 2 weeks ago......... that seemed to take this roundabout crazy route to us..... landed in Mississauga (near Toronto) then travelled to Ottawa (basically driving by us) then finally....... at long last....... arriving at our door yesterday!!  The sheer joy that filled our house!!!

What was this precious special item we have been waiting for..... watching for... tracking????






Yup ........ face masks!

I have followed the great debate of whether to wear face masks or not - mostly feeling it wasn't something I would be comfortable doing.  BUT the more time passes - the more people I see wearing them...... the more the idea of getting some seemed a good idea.


Then after ordering them......... and during the wait for them to arrive... I realized the thought of wearing one was ..... sort of......kind of ...... comforting.  AND before anyone gets too bent out of shape....... yes we know the proper way to put them on.... to wear them ... take them off... and dispose of them.

I opted for disposable medical masks for one main reason....... the lovely fashion statement masks that folks are making.. buying (and in some cases paying a hand and a fist for) .... didn't make much sense to me... you can only wear them once and must / should wash them the minute you come back in... or run the risk of leaving germy masks lying around in your 'safe bubble' (as I have come to see our home)


Compare that to......slip it on........ wear it ... slip it off and dispose of it in the garbage (or a garbage bag in the trunk of the car) Sanitize hands/wash hands -- carry on. 

 The more I thought about masks - the more I rationalized that IF they protect people around you from YOUR coughs/germs.... WHY wouldn't they offer some sort of protection to you from other's coughs??!! 

and finally it just boiled down to .... what the hell ?!  Let's give it a try.

Who knows now we have them........ maybe .. just maybe? I will gain enough confidence to venture out to buy..............................


W I N E.  (cheeky grin)

Life is good when you can find some comfort and humour through the pandemic!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Morningstar,

    Glad the masks finally arrived. It certainly is a hot debate whether people should wear them or not. Our authorities are watching the international views on this with some countries making it compulsory and others not, but at this stage aren't recommending them for general use. They also don't want people to have a false sense of security. That may change depending on the experiences overseas though.

    I don't quite get either how they protect other people from you but not you from others.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morningstar,

    It is the great debate isn't it? To mask or not to mask, that is the question. One we are debating here with no real answer.

    However, the shipping thing....what is that????? It is like trying to understand the logic behind construction schedules (specifically road construction but I am sure it applies to all). I REALLY want to know the logic behind road construction. Like, why are they not doing ALL the repairs now when there is little traffic?

    Oh well, it gives me something to ponder.

    Enjoy the masks.
    Hugs
    Boo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy you got them. I think wearing a mask helps and I KNOW it helps psychologically. I only have cloth masks and I don't wash them each time I go out. I still stay well away from people, so I don't feel like it's crawling with germs and viruses, but when I get home after washing my hands I iron the crap out of that sucker! This virus doesn't like heat and I steam that mask until it begs for mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We wear masks in the clinic, and the government has mandated mask wearing as long as we leave the house. The short answer is YES it does protect you from other people's germs. GOOD ON YOU for getting them! Wear them please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wearing a mask for more than 6 weeks now - between D's COPD and R's serious asthma I wasn't willing to take a chance. They are cloth ones (my lovely SIL made a BUNCH for me)- and yes, you do have to wash them - but thankfully I have 10 so once I wear one, into the wash it goes. I also have one-use latex disposable gloves - which go into a bag in my car (I FRIGGIN HATE PEOPLE - SEE THESE MASKS AND GLOVES ON THE GROUND AT THE SHOPPING CENTRES!)- i also WASH with hot water and soap pretty well everything coming into the house (grocery wise)- for cardboard things, they go into the cold room for a minimum of a week (overkill but why not). I call it being responsible! I feel so bad for all those frontline workers - the ones I'm talking about the cashiers, the clerks, the guys who bring in and out the carts, the minimum wage earners that everyone use to bitch about and so many in this province voted AGAINST giving a raise to - so I see this as protecting THEM as well as myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Morningstar,

    Just stopping by to say hello and quite behind on reading your posts, but it is good to hear you are all doing well overall.

    As far as the great mask debate I think one of the best explanations (although not perfect) is the ‘Wear Your Mask: The Urine Test - Meme', If you haven't see it I'm sure you can do a quick google search for it.

    Best,
    Enzo

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts