Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Get it off my Chest








I tend to refrain from discussions that involve politics, religion, sexual orientation, touchy subjects.  I do this because I really do like peace and quiet, I do NOT like confrontation...... Debates tend to become heated and things tend to be said that shouldn't be said. 

That is not to say I don't have opinions on those topics........ trust me I do!  BUT I don't handle rabid people well.....and so I stay away from voicing said opinions.


Now to the point of this blog entry.

I LOVE Christmas...... and everything to do with it.  I love the soft twinkling lights, the soft fall of snow, the music, the love, the joy.  

All my life - once Halloween is over my mind turns to Christmas....... we have - for years and years - had themed Christmases.... everything from pioneer Christmas, to Gingerbread Christmas, to Woodlands Christmas and everything in between.  I had bins and bins of Christmas decorations.

Then

My life changed -- Christmas was spent with my girls at their houses and so I gave away most of my Christmas stuff.........downsized drastically...... even my Christmas tree went from 7 feet tall to 4 feet tall.  Christmas had lost some of its magic.

Then Sir Steve and the lil one came into my life.  And I started to pull out all the old traditions....... and scrambling to up size Christmas again.  Sir Steve announced at the end of the season last year that we needed a new tree - a much bigger tree.  So a couple of weeks ago we went shopping and found a gorgeous 7 foot tree half price. 

I picked a theme....... Danish Christmas........ 

I waited patiently for Halloween to be over and then................... the creativity started and the planning started.

I am excited again for Christmas -- for the music and the twinkling lights and the magic of the season reflected in the lil one's eyes.

Yesterday I asked the lil one when she got home if she would like to learn how to make Danish Christmas baskets to fill with candy and eventually hang on the tree.  Of course she wanted to!!  So we set about cutting and learning to weave....... with lots of chatter and giggling.

I was amazed at how quickly she picked up weaving -- 3D weaving at that!  And took some pictures .......










I posted those pics on FB so my girls could see what we were doing -- and the lil one's family...... and my friends.

I felt warm and fuzzy.

UNTIL

someone - a friend of Sir Steve - posted on the pictures "I hope you don't have your tree up yet"
I knew exactly what she was inferring........ and my blood boiled.
I responded "why is that?" 
And then we were off having a passive aggressive debate about Remembrance Day and how it is disrespectful to decorate for Christmas before the 11th!

REALLY???
That's what she thought was appropriate to post on a picture of a lil girl mastering tricky weaving skills AND enjoying the beginnings of Christmas ??!!!
As I pointed out to her....... one can still honour our vets while preparing for Christmas....... 

Now this 'friend' is an 18 year old who like all 18 year olds knows EVERYTHING..... except when to shut up.  I let loose on her ...... (it really was a one sided fight -- and I should know better but............) the comments have been deleted ........but the joy of the afternoon crafting has been tarnished.

I HATE rabid people!

3 comments:

  1. Well, Ms. Morningstar, I am with you. On all of your points.

    First off, I started decorating for Christmas on November 2. I like that happiness I feel with it. And I don't care what other people think. That whole thing about Remembrance Day is bull....If your teenage friend had taken the time to research, they would find multiple responses from Veterans saying they fought for the FREEDOM to do what we wanted. And I personally doubt they give a flying fig about whether or not my house is decorated in a Christmas theme.

    Don't let the ignorance of one person rain on your happiness. You are teaching lil one a new skill, a new tradition. You are enjoying a happy feeling in the darkest time of the year.

    I am with you. Decorate for Christmas, sing carols, make Danish baskets, bake Danish treats, watch all the Christmas movies. Be happy. Enjoy the connection with lil one.

    hugs
    Boo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morningstar,

    Argh, why can't people keep their opinions to themselves. I'm sorry your joy was tarnished by one ignorant teen.

    I love how you get in the spirit with the lil one and make it magical for her.I have to confess, I am the opposite when it comes to Christmas. It's just one huge stress for me and the build up starts way too early for me...but that is just me.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. The meanie! I hate it when people act like that, it's just so rude.

    I love that your lil one was able to find such success, joy, love and laughter learning a new tradition. That is something that I always find so wonderful. Now, we do not decorate so early.... as we are impatiently waiting for Thanksgiving to be over, but then this year with Thanksgiving being so late, we may do the tree the weekend before! So, just like Boo said above the veterans do what they do so we can just decide. That we don't have someone else telling us what's okay in our own homes.

    So MS, you just do your thing. Be happy and delighted in what that sweet child did...she helped you regain your love for Christmas and that's the biggest blessing of all!

    --Baker

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts