Friday, November 29, 2019

Remembering.............



On Tuesday night as I laid in bed coughing and feeling like crap I remembered when I was young and how my mom would rub my chest with Vicks Vapor rub and then tie one of my father's handkerchiefs around my neck making sure the lubricated area was covered.  I can remember her gentle massaging of the vicks into my skin - the comfort that came from her touch. 

I remember in the mornings being moved to my parent's BIG bed - feeling the cool sheets against my skin..... loving how my mom would tuck me in tightly .. how safe I felt.  I can remember the glass of juice with a straw sitting on my dad's chest of drawers and how my mom would come in regularly to give me sips from the glass.

I even remember the doctor making house calls (yeah I am THAT old!!)

I remember how as I slowly got better my mom making a 'bed' on the couch in the living room in the afternoons and being allowed to watch TV ..... remember getting one oreo cookie and a glass of milk...... dipping my cookie in the milk (the only time I was ever allowed to dunk cookies - grinning) 

Mostly I remember never thinking I wouldn't get better...... my mom and her vicks and her big bed would always make me better.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great memory. I have no memories like that with my mom...or at least not with the love that you obviously felt. Hold tight to that as you get through this latest bout of bronchitis.

    Wishing you well as fast as possible!

    Hugs (but not too close as I have never had bronchitis and I never want it!!)
    Boo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely memories of how your Mom took care of you when you were sick Morningstar. And I bet you did the same things for your children:)

    Hope you are feeling much better soon.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts