Thursday, November 17, 2005

health check

i was scheduled for a "health check" today........ and of course i awoke with a good set of nerves........ where better to calm them than on the net.. writing a blog.. reading some blogs..and losing myself for a little while........

A trip to the coffee machine proved hazardous to my mental well being........... when i came back .. cup in hand.. there was this ugly red screen open on my pc .. announcing that i had a virus !!! ME!? 'miss caution'.. 'miss won't open any attachment caution'.. 'miss won't d/l any games or music or videos caution'.. and still despite all of it.. despite firewalls and adware and virus protection.. i got it.. a VIRUS!!!!

i did everything right.. worked for just over 2 1/2 hours carefully surgically working on my pc .. and still it was there.. IT .. the virus.......... curses !!! i tried to find the phone number.. an email address.. some sort of contact information for the Virus Protection Company - who shall remain nameless.. all to no avail......... finally i picked up the phone and called their head office.. only to be forced to listen to recording after recording.. doesn't ANYONE answer their phones anymore???!!! i left a very unsubbie .. unlady like message .. and packed it in... time to head off to the health check that had been scheduled for the day.......

Sitting in the examining room........ my heart was pounding... every attempt at calming myself down didn't work.. deep breathing.. meditating.. nothing worked.. all i could see in my mind's eye was the ugly red message screen......... was it some sort of premonition of things to come here??? ughhhhhhh i hate health checks....

Back in the doctor's office.... listening to Dr O tsk tsk her way through writing up the report... i explained my day.. my week.. my month at work.... and my impending breakdown waiting for the news on the blood work ........... why oh why do doctors act like results are some sort of state secret???!!! Dr O looked up surprised at my sudden outburst... BP was a bit high.. but considering my state of mind she wasn't particularily worried.. as for the blood work......... (flip flip went the chart) i am healthy.... better than healthy.. perfect !!! i could have danced a jig on her desk !!!!

By 2pm the deadline i left the Virus company they had phoned too.. they didn't have good news.. but it wasn't fatal news either (at least not yet).... i have a rather ugly virus.. they needed information off my pc as this virus mutates from pc to pc..... buries itself in different files .. different directories.. different registeries... i am to call back in 48 hours .. hopefully by then they will have adapted the program to fix my lil pc........ the good news they told me was that at least i could still use my pc.. could still access the internet... most struck with this virus couldn't......

Now .. being a bit anal.. and more than a little cross this 'miss caution' asked WHERE did it come from??!!! and i was told the last thing you d/led from the net before the red screen ... i don't d/l was my answer.... i don't !!! Then i stopped.... i had gone looking this morning .. just before my coffee trip .. for the Leatherman's Flag..... i had d/led it .... and it had given me a virus ...............

When it comes right down to it....... a little virus on my pc is hardly worth all the worry and stress.... "my" health is good damn good.. a little tweaking of my meds and all is right with the world............ red screens be damned.. this was .. all in all .. an EXCELLENT day !!!!

9 comments:

  1. and the light goes on wow you can see alot when it goes on can't you I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And people wonder why we love our Macs so much. The only virus I've ever gotten was the Flu. I haven't spent one red cent on virus protection, my Imac just flat doesn't need it. It's nice not having such words in my vocabulary as CRASH and REBOOT.

    Congradulations on your check-up! Healthy is a GOOD thing! Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael.. why don't macs get viruses?? they go on the net..they d/l stuff don't they?? how come they don't get viruses??

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac's don't get viruses because very few people make viruses that work with that OS.

    Microsoft (from what I have been told) has many security flaws, and generally speaking the operating system is not as well built as the OS in Mac. Also ppl who design viruses, will target the largest market possible... which I am sad to say is Windows.

    All any Windows user can do is have protection and pray that if they get sick that the program they have is equipped to resolve the problem. (ie: up to date) Did I mention that your ISP offers this service?

    Viruses are bad... but worms and trojans can be MUCH worse. Don't get me started on Spyware.

    I wish you luck... And call me if you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What he said, darling. But if you really want to know the sad truth of Microsoft vs Mac OS you have to go back to the very beginning. The first PC's ran MS-DOS, which was painfully hard for the average person to use, requiring arcane keystroke combinations that you had to memorize in order to do anything with. Then came Macintosh, which used a mouse and a VERY user friendly OS that anybody could figure out how to use intuitively, without having to type command/backslash/ALT/etc left and right. Well, people loved it, but it was a bit more expensive than the IBM PC which ruled the day. Microsoft immediately attempted to copy the Macintosh OS, finally coming out with a pathetic copy called Windows, which was a terribly constructed patchwork of code that tended to crash left and right, but you could run it on any piece of PC crap that you could get for alot cheaper than a Mac. When the internet came around, hackers with nothing better to do with their time immediately discovered how easy it was to write code that could screw up a Windows PC, and soon people running PC's had a whole new headache to deal with. Yes, hackers more or less ignored the Mac OS because first off, Apple had a much smaller market share, and second, the Mac OS actually WAS a lot harder to penetrate, so I guess it wasn't worth the extra effort. Since OSX was introduced, Apple has a combination of hardware and software that is incredibly easy to use, is very stable, and is STILL exceedingly hard to compromise. The fact remains, my dear, that you get what you pay for. Once you go Mac, my dear, you never go back. If money is an issue, you can get a Mac Mini at a very good price which will do almost anything you use your PC for, without all the headaches. Or, for a few bucks more, you can try out an Imac G-5, which is what I use, and it has been nothing but a pleasure! That's MY take on the subject and I'm sticking to it! grin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:41 am

    What was the virus? Or was that posted somewhere and i missed it?

    It's funny... myself, and Master and my kids go randomly and willynilly downloading everything! I have normal virus protection.. but we never get anything. *knock on wood* and my sister is like you... never touches a thing and I've had to clean her comp a few times..lol

    Why is that I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. you mean ther eare actually people who still use macs WOW now that is impressive does Gates know keep it on the q t he might figure a way to contol that too,

    ReplyDelete
  8. phewwwwwwwww .. go to a conference and come back to mayhem ruling in the comment sections.. (giggling)

    ok first .. KAYA - the virus is called Trojan.Vundo it is a form (i think) of adware .. it attaches to any PC that visits it's site (which ever site it happens to be hacked onto) it attaches to your pc and mutates..

    LING: my virus protector is updated REGULARILY .. this virus mutates and basically the bad guys are winning :(

    MICHAEL - i know "what he says" referring to dae.. as she is .. drum roll please.... my daughter !! and works in computers.... as for buying a mac maybe next time round.. but this one isn't even a year old yet :( now where were you dear Michael when i was purchasing this one??!!!

    i am declaring this virus Michael's fault - he didn't warn me about Windows and Macs.. nodding furiously - definitely Michael's fault !!!

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, dear, you didn't warn me you were preparing to offer yourself for sacrifice to the dark side. Had I known, I would have tried to figure out a way to educate your Master in such a way as make him believe purchasing a Mac was his own brilliant idea, thus insuring the deed was done. And please, don't blame your getting a virus on me. That would be interfering in the internal affairs of another soveriegn nation and my dear peace loving acre of sand might get invaded by the Canadian government with full UN approval, which we all know is controlled by a secret tribunal led by Bill Gates. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts