Sunday, November 27, 2005

Transference

i am guilty of transference........ the act of transferring something from one place to another..... it sometimes amazes me how easily that can happen...... a word.. a look.. and something that happened so long ago, forgotten about till now, can rear its ugly head and make monsters reappear.

Christmas... when i was little... was a time of family .. of sharing.. of laughter.. when time was the most precious gift you could give or receive.. where i learned to make the world's best shortbread sitting on a high stool in my grandmother's kitchen kneading dough for what felt like hours while hearing stories of long gone family members.. where Christmas did NOT always come from a store nor did the meal.. but it always came from the heart ........ from love.......

i thought everyone had Christmas like this.. a Norman Rockwell Christmas... but i grew up and got married and discovered that there were Grinches out there.. and i had married one............ didn't matter!! Christmas would come.. and it would come with bells and music and laughter, and all the good things that make Christmas Christmas !!!! i would fill the house with the smells of Christmas.. with the laughter of Christmas.. with the lights of Christmas.. with the family ......... and i did..virtually by myself.. every year .. for 20+ years ..

At the end of each November some instinct inside me drives me to drag out the boxes.. to string up lights.. to lovingly place well honoured decorations around the house... to cook and create the delightful smells that honoured my childhood.. and i hope my girls childhood....and that is what i was starting to do yesterday... when the lights wouldn't light on one side .. and the Grinch lifted his head and spoke........ and the joy of my day went up the chimney like a puff a smoke.. and tranference happened... this wasn't my Sir speaking .. this was all the Grinches from all the Christmases past that spoke......... and i answered back and was rude.. and nasty ..

and i have been told to find a punishment that fits the crime.. and i said i will not speak again...until You tell me it is over.......... and so transference has left me in silence..........and somewhere the joy of Christmas has been lost...... because i dishonoured my Sir... and all that i learnt as a child about the joy of Christmas..

4 comments:

  1. Dishonoring Sir and the loss of Christmas are not the same thing nor should it ever be combined that way..

    Christmas is but once a year and means something different to everyone. For those who love it should go about making sure they have a lovely time and for those who don’t enjoy it they should be avoided or at least ignored so the spirits of Christmas’s pass are never ruined....

    As for the Christmas season it only means something to Me when little children are about with their wide eyes and screams of joy and happiness....

    May the Christmas Spirit NEVER leave you littleone.....

    Sir,
    Owner of morningstar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I and your Sir have at least ONE thing in common, I can't get with the Christmas spirit either. I dread this time of year. It's pressue I could well do without. The traffic sucks. The consumerism is sickening. What ever happened to gifts made by hand that meant something? And yes, I hate it when I have to put my life on the line to get up on a ladder to string lights, with thoughts of falling and becoming a quadraplegic just for the sake of a stupid string of lights that just up the electric bill! However, if it makes you feel better, dear, Merry Christmas.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my friend Sir wise words you have spoken

    ReplyDelete
  4. for those of you who left me comments.. i feel i must clarify one thing....... i dishonoured my Sir and the joy of the Christmas spirit - the one i learned in my grandmother's kitchen - went poof.. to me the spirit of Christmas is one of peace and joy and brotherhood... not nasty words... that is why i put both in the same sentence... i dishonoured my Sir and dishonoured my grandmother's teachings........

    and Michael i do believe as is said in the story of the Grinch....
    he puzzled and puzzled, till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't thought of before! "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. "Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

    And to all a "good night"

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts