Thursday, October 07, 2021

Words of Wisdom

 


If I could tell my 18 year old self anything - it would be the above.  I spent so much of my adult life thinking I owed the man I was living with some 'thing' - cause he was supporting me.  I never thought about the services I was supplying him with!! I remember going back to teaching when my girls were young - and asking my husband to help out around the house - even if it just meant popping supper into the oven for me.  His answer - 'when you earn as much or more than I do - then I will help around the house'.  I felt so small - so insignificant.

It is brought home even more sharply now.  I have been asked "what would Sir Steve do if he didn't have you to look after the little one?"  and I think in my head - 'and do the laundry and the groceries and prepare the meals and clean the house and all the other little things I do to keep life running smoothly around here.'

I am beginning to realize (yeah it took me years and years!!) that I AM a contributing partner in this relationship  -- in all the relationships I have had.  I'm just sorry it has taken me so long to see it........ 

3 comments:

  1. As the kids were growing up we both had full time jobs. I felt we pretty much divided things up. I did child care and fed us. He did all yard work, car repairs and household maintenance. We both cleaned. Now I do 90% of the cleaning and he does everything else, inside and out. Suits me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do all the earning and domestic tasks :( Living alone seriously cuts your free time

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, we each contribute in different ways.I think we often overlook the contribution we make.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts