Monday, January 06, 2014

Leftovers







   I have a love hate relationship with leftovers.  I love that the next day I don't have to think about what to make for dinner.  I hate the clutter/mess in the fridge of containers and plastic covered plates.  I love how easy it is to throw food in the microwave and just reheat - instant dinner!

On Friday night I made sausage and mashed potatoes.  I had leftover sausage (not enough for another full meal - but still leftovers) and I had leftover mashed potatoes.  I also had some leftover pasta in the fridge from lunch.  Oh yeah I also had taken some ground beef out for a meal - some sort of meal - couldn't quite come up with a recipe that appealed to me so it just sat in the fridge.

I had half way planned what to do with the leftovers - but knew I needed to use up the ground beef soon.  I was gonna chop up the sausage and throw it in the leftover pasta and reheat, that would be one meal.  I would take the mashed potatoes and find some sort of recipe for potatoe patties and serve them up with beef patties.

So Saturday I set out to find a recipe for leftover mashed potatoes.  I found quite an interesting one that involved grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits (we always have bacon bits in this house - seems to be a staple much like milk and butter) eggs and breadcrumbs.  I made up these lovely potatoe puffs (just a small note here - the bread crumbs are actually crushed corn flakes)..................... 



and served them with meat patties (my version of hamburger steak)



BUT to my dismay - I now had leftover potatoe patties and leftover meat patties.  I added them to the leftover sausage and pasta in the fridge.  It really is carrying my love of leftovers too far when the leftovers create more leftovers!!

Oh yeah I also have a nice roast beef waiting to be cooked too........... I think I may have the menus planned and organised for the next couple of days........ (of course there will be leftover roast beef too.......... le sigh) 

It does seem it is either feast or famine around here when it comes to menu planning - either I have NO idea what to cook and/or no desire to cook - OR I have meals/leftovers piling up in the fridge.  

3 comments:

  1. I feel I have found my leftover foods sister :) I loath to throw anything away ... anyway your potato puffs look utterly amazing I can't see them being wasted ava x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordalie11:19 am

    This is what I would have done: plonked the leftover sausages and potatoes on the table without trying to recycle them. Still... your potato puffs look and probably tasted yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will do My best to see there are NO leftovers for that Roast Beef...

    W

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts