Thursday, July 04, 2019

Gourmet Camping

Back in April I bought myself a camping cookbook.......... and I googled camping recipes because I was drawing a blank on menus for the summer.  I wanted to cook something other than the usual on the barbecue -- something a wee bit more challenging and tastier than the norm.  

And I have to say I think we are batting a 1000 ...... I say 'we' cause I do all the prep work and Sir Steve barbecues it.  

Our first meal was lobster tails and steak -- Sir Steve made that request -- he said it would be a celebration of the start to summer at the trailer...... 
Despite the fact he had never cooked lobster - never mind on a barbecue -- it turned out perfect and sooooooooo damn good!!




In my research for camping menus I found a lot of menus that required something called a 'pie iron' ......... every recipe I found seemed to have 4 of these pie irons sitting on a fire (or barbecue).  So I thought 'great I'll pick up 4 of them too' until I priced them!!  dear lord - they were like $25 each!!  I went to Canadian Tire - thinking I would buy one and we'd just be patient and cook one at a time -- but it was my lucky day and they had them on sale for $19 so I bought 2.  On the weekend Sir Steve and I had 'gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. I put gouda and swiss and cheddar cheese in the sandwiches and topped them with a generous helping of bacon....... another success story!  (though cleaning them - despite they're being well oiled -- was a challenge in my small kitchen sink)






The other night I made 'oriental beef and mushrooms' over japanese noodles -- again another huge success!  



We've also had garlic and herb pork tenderloin and curry sausages and gobs of homemade caesar salad.


The lil one is joining us today for a week -- so the gourmet cooking may be dumbed down a little bit to accommodate a 6 year old (like no lobster or shrimp this week) But I have made an apple and cheddar cheese pasta salad to go with hamburger patties for tonite's supper.  The weather is topping out around 35degrees Celsius (which is about 95F) so am thinking cooler suppers may be in order for the next lil while.  

OH yeah - I almost forgot - I think we may try 'banana boats' cooked on the campfire one night while the lil one is here for dessert one night -- and the lil one and I are gonna make blueberry scones for breakfast this weekend.

Life is good when camping includes loads of sunshine and good food!

3 comments:

  1. Easier to eat than banana boats, though less healthy is doing them in sugar cones. I suppose you could cut up bananas and put them in the cones with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips!

    Enjoy

    willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, now I'm hungry lol. Glad you are enjoying good food and sunshine:) Good on you managing gourmet meals at the campsite.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds completely amazing, both the adult and child fare!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts