Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Listening to my body......







In 2011 I went into hospital to have my gall bladder removed.  The surgery went well ..... except 4 days after I was running a fever.  It took the doctors almost 3 weeks to figure out what was wrong.  I was at home -- just going to see the doctor for consults.  By the time they re-admitted me to hospital I hadn't eaten in over a week (probably longer but I have very little memory of that time).  

After much testing -- and many scans -- they discovered I had an abscess in my bowel that had ruptured.  Two weeks later after massive doses of antibiotics I was allowed to go home.

Since then I have followed a fairly strict diet -- no seeds -- no nuts -- not too many veggies and I have been fine.  About 4 years ago in my new city with W the doctor told me the diet was outdated.  They had proven it had no bearing on actually preventing another abscess.  YAY!!  I got to eat the foods I loved -- especially Montreal bagels with sesame seeds.

Fast forward to the last year.  I have had a yucky tummy off and on.  It came and went.  It was bearable.  Until the last 3 weeks.  My tummy didn't feel right.  It wasn't anything I could actually put my finger on ya know?  It just felt yucky.  Then for the last week or so things got bad....... and I do mean 
B A D.  I was scared.  And when I get scared I shut down. (well at least for a little bit) All the little tricks I had used before to feel better weren't working.  This weekend was the worst.

On Sunday night and Monday I googled what to do -- what diet I should be on etc.  On Sunday night I promised Sir Steve I would go to the clinic on Monday.  BUT damn the thought of that scared me so much!!  All I could see was a repeat of weeks in and out of hospital -- doctors poking and prodding and yucky tests and even yuckier medicines.  I decided I wouldn't go.  I wasn't running a fever that was my saving grace.  I figured if I had an infection again I would definitely have a fever.  My body was telling me no infection -- the pain wasn't that severe and I was hungry.  I decided it was probably inflamed.   And so on Monday night I started a clear liquid diet.

I stuck to it all day yesterday.  By bedtime I was starving -- but I wasn't going to give in.  Still no fever.  Sir Steve went out and got me more chicken broth.... and some crackers (I am gonna try adding crackers today) 

This morning my tummy feels a little bit better.  I am still starving .... but there's no fever and no pain.  I am going to do 3 days of clear liquids and some crackers and slowly add food back after that.  With any luck I will have beaten the inflammation without doctors and yucky meds.

AND I believe I will go back on the diet my doctor in Montreal put me on...... no nuts..no seeds...limited veggies etc.  I have to listen to my body and what may work for other folks may not be the answer for me.  I have no time to be sick now..... Sir Steve and I have years and years to make up for.... I WILL NOT BE SICK!  (fingers crossed) 

2 comments:

  1. Oh i do hope u get better without the yucky hospital and tests! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morningstar,

    I'm sorry you have been going through this, having a yucky tummy is no fun. Sending positive vibes that it clears quickly. Though I do have to say, I wonder if you would be best to have it checked out (sorry :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts