Saturday, October 23, 2010

Health care

Ok so I dragged myself off to the hospital yesterday morning to donate blood and other specific bodily fluids.

I kept telling myself to suck it up.. I am just so damn tired and draggy.

So after I had done my donations I stopped and picked up a few groceries and dragged myself home. The sofa looked damn good let me tell you. But before allowing my ass to settle on the sofa I did manage to put the groceries away and throw a load of laundry in. Then I felt I deserved a rest.

Approximately 6 hours after I had left the hospital the clinic called me. They already had the test results back and needed me to come in immediately. I was so scared. I figured I was off to the hospital, surgery, all kinds of monstrous scary things. So I called Warren and he promised he would meet me at the clinic.

When I got there the nurse took my vitals and was going on about how high my white blood cell count was. How they would do the ultra sound in emergency. I was wondering if there was somewhere I could run and hide..... I know that makes no sense....... but it just seemed so fast and out of control.

Then the doctor came in. Quiet older woman who read my file and asked some questions then said "Right - you need your gall bladder out - so I will give you a referral. And the white blood cell count tells me your gall bladder is infected so I will give you some antibiotics and pain killers"

I could have kissed her. She was so calm and reassuring. I explained how the nurse had been talking about emergency .. and she just smiled and said no emergency - antibiotics and bland diet until you can have the gall bladder removed - 2 - 4 months.

OK OK so 2 - 4 months seems like a really long time..... but at least it wasn't some major emergency!!!

One of the things I haven't been doing since the attack on Sunday is eating. Oh I have been having broths and juice but nothing very substantial. Now I have to eat with the meds... so I expect my energy levels will start improving too.

I started all this really because I wanted to praise our health care system. We are so quick to find fault. But 6 hours from tests to results!!?? Pretty impressive if you ask me.


  1. Well done Canadian health care. Take good care of yourself.


  2. i dont know- 6 hours for results is great- but 2-4 months to wait to have it removed? i dont like that....thats why i dont want our health care to change here in u.s.... im used to going in and having something taken care of right away.
    anyway, good luck to you, i hope you will be feeling better really soon.

  3. I'm glad to hear its not too serious. I hope the gall bladder doesn't bother you too much while you wait. Take care of yourself.



  4. I had to have emergency removal of my gall bladder when I was 22.
    The procedure is easy and relatively painless; I was back on my feet in no time!
    I don't like that you have to wait 2-4 months, but as long as you're careful about what you eat, it shouldn't be too bad.

    I am VERY happy to hear that it's not anything more serious. :D
    And Warren? You rock! :D

  5. They prefer NOT to remove the gall bladder when you are in the high alert attack phase. Better to do it when it settles down a bit. At least that's what my US doctor said. It's easier on the body and has higher % of outcome. They aren't stalling. :) They are taking good care of you. I recommend a good ice pack after surgery. :)

  6. There's nothing like a doc or nurse who tells it like it is! Glad everything is working out. 2-4 months on bland food, hope that works out.


  7. Wow! That's lucky. Glad it wasn't more serious.

    Not that a bad gall bladder is any fun but glad you weren't dying!

    Feel better!



  8. glad to hear it wasn't too serious. Although you should not let this go any longer than you have to.

    Yes, 6 hours is amazing for test results! Sheesh...I just recently had tests done and they sat around on a doctor's desk with no phone call in spite of abnormal results which had the potential of being very serious. this doctor sat on these results for 10 DAYS.

    Count your blessings. Oh and the fact that Warren Dominant...the "man"...took a total powder on me when it came to this.

    I guess it's when the slave is sick that separates the men from the boys.

  9. Would have scared the crap out of me if the nurse would have told me to get back there immediately.
    I'm so glad it was nothing major. I had my gall bladder removed in 2001. Went to the ER in horrible pain and was in surgery 4 hours later and then the little sucker decided to rupture when I was in preop. Needless to say now I have a big scar :(...
    I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    Big Hugs
    His mija


Popular Posts