Tuesday, April 26, 2022

THAT stage

 


 

About a year ago we started to see some changes in the lil one..... minor ones but still changes.

This year we've noticed some more major changes........ oilier skin/hair.... changes in body shape......... and Sir Steve and I started to prepare for the hormones ...... and changes to personality.

Was I ready for it? NO!   I've been down that road twice already with my daughters.  Did/do I want to do it again?  NO!  but ya know - it's all part of the parcel.

Anyway - after Spring break our government removed mask mandates.  Joy oh Joy!  We talked with the lil one and told her we wanted her to keep wearing her masks at school........ cause 6th wave ya know.  Every laundry day there were her dirty masks in the wash - so I assumed she was wearing them........ Yeah right!  Then the school posted pictures of her class - one in the gym listening to a speaker and another of her in class doing an art project.  Guess what?!  In both pictures she wasn't wearing her mask......... le sigh.  Sir Steve questioned her - 'was she wearing her masks?' 'Oh yes' she said.  Then he pulled up the school pictures and showed her ............ GOTCHA!

She came home from her mother's yesterday with a runny nose and laryngitis.  Turns out it started on Saturday.  First thing that came to mind - COVID of course.  Her mother never tested her - cause ya know - it's the mother.  So last night Sir Steve tested her...
OMG!  What a nonsense he had to put up with.... pulling her head away - holding her nose.... crying........  Fortunately the test was negative.  see me breathing again?!

This is what we call a teaching moment - don't like nose swabs? then sanitize your hands wear your bloody masks!!

and there have been other little behaviours that scream hormones....... can I do this again???  or better question do I WANT to do this again?  Life is about to get very 'interesting' around here - le sigh......... 

12 comments:

  1. Uh oh, the hormonal pre-teen then teen years. All I can say is I wish you and Sir Steve luck!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Roz - we're gonna need all the luck we can get .... LOL so will the lil one!

      Delete
  2. Honestly, I must have been lucky - yes there were ups and downs but I LOVE teens! They are so passionate, caring and so involved. It's also hard on them - dealing with all the changes - and for the Little One even more difficult dealing with two vastly different households. I would absolutely talk to her about periods - although I'm sure you already have - it's just kids today with all the hormones in good and stuff are getting them so much earlier (my second was 9!)- so she is prepared. It is VERY frustrating that she won't wear her mask but there is not much you can do to enforce that in school. I would start a serious santiziing routine for when she gets back from school each day - just being matter of fact about it but explaining this is necessary because of the possible COVID exposure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought her a book last year (can't remember the title but age appropriate) We read a chapter a week as a family ....... it discussed periods. Just recently I noticed the lil one had the book out again. On her own she came and told me - said she was checking what steps came before the actual period! So yeah we're kinda prepared for that.
      Her school encouraged parents to send masks and said to drop the teacher a note if you want your child to wear theirs..........so after the picture reveal we did drop a note to the teacher...so we're hoping she's wearing them again. I do know that I insist on the scrub down when she gets home just like during the worst of it.

      Delete
  3. I guess it's good that you love pain, although this is the wrong kind. We did things backwards, I would have given my daughter to the first person that asked from age one to eleven. It's been smooth sailing ever since. I like Selkie suggestions too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PK - I was patient with my girls when they went through this... but the lil one is a product of two families with two different ideals - which is complicating things a wee bit. One day at a time eh PK??

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:05 am

    Oh, Morningstar, I FEEL your pain! I'm in the midst of it with an almost 15 year old. Truthfully, most days I want to strangle my dear child. I did not have this problem with the other four kids. The teen years were a breeze. I guess this one's making up for that lack.
    As Selkie said, it must be hard for the kid going between two households. Hopefully, you'll all come through this stage in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (grinning) come through in one piece?? I know I will !!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:07 am

    Oops, that was me that posted anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:08 am

    oh, my goodness... why won't this thing let me post with my name?!! Blogger hates me lately. *sigh* It's me... Penelope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When dealing with children of this age, my personal tactics are to run for cover, screaming for their parents. There are some advantages to being single. :)

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the laugh Prefectdt - and maybe a new option for dealing with this? running for cover?? LOL

      Delete

Popular Posts