Wednesday, December 29, 2021

A Sad Christmas Story

 


 

For once the mother posted a handful of pictures of the lil one's Christmas with her.  The first picture was of the lil one in her pj's with a 'funny' look on her face.  She was sitting in the living room with a TV table beside her. On the table was her stocking and a handful of presents. In all the pictures our lil one had this weird look on her face..... I couldn't figure it out........ not one picture of her smiling.

When she was back with us on Christmas eve I loaded up mother's pictures and asked the lil one "what is that look on your face?'  I didn't have to explain my question or reword it - nothing.  She blurted out "No one else opened presents!  I opened mine by myself and they just watched".  I was gob smacked!!   How fun is that??!!  I didn't get it... even if it wasn't our lil one I wouldn't get it.  Who let's the child open their gifts alone?? No sharing?? no laughter?? I don't get it!  It made me very sad inside.   

In contrast - Christmas morning the lil one climbed in bed with us..... we each had our Christmas stocking..... we took turns pulling a gift out of our stocking and opening it.  We laughed and snuggled and took selfies.

When we moved into the living room in our pj's - I put homemade cinnamon buns on the coffee table - milk for the lil one coffee for Sir Steve and I.  We nibbled buns while again we took turn opening presents.  The lil one played Santa passing out gifts one at a time.  We took breaks to try on clothes (the lil one got 2 outfits from me and Sir Steve and I both got sweaters)  We ohhhed and ahhhed over the outfits/sweaters.  We went back to opening more presents.  It was pretty much how Christmas should look in my opinion.   I grew up with Christmases like that - my girls grew up with Christmases like that (AND they have passed down that tradition)

On Monday night at my eldest daughter's - the lil one was sitting beside me at the dinner table waiting for dinner and again she had this strange look on her face.  I asked her "what are you thinking?" She said she wished we could stay another day and not go home.  I said something about it being her mother's time....... and she would be waiting for the lil one.  The lil one nodded but still had this look.  I asked her what she was thinking........... she said "private thoughts S" so I dropped it.... gave her a hug and just let it be.

I don't understand how a family (any family) can be so cold........ especially at Christmas.  It's supposed to be a loving happy memory making holiday.  My heart is broken for the sad lil girl who felt so alone in the middle of a family.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Morningstar, sounds like you all had a wonderful Christmas morning opening gifts together. I agree, it's so much more fun when everyone opens gifts one by one.

    I always used to get a bit frustrated as our family tended to hand out the gifts rapid fire, everyone opening at once so there wasn't the chance to see what everyone got and their reactions properly.

    Perhaps in this case the adults didn't get gifts for each other which is why the lil one was opening gifts alone? We don't anymore.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that was the case Roz
      There were lots of gifts Ashlynn's cousin was there and even she didn't open her presents

      Delete
  2. It never ceases to amaze me how smart kids are. I am so sorry that lil one didn't enjoy mother's Christmas, but am so happy that she has you and Sir Steve to show her how to enjoy it. It is truly sad that she is learning this at such a young age!

    You are an inspiration Morningstar.
    Hugs
    boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nah not an inspiration - not me - I just believe in the magic of childhood..... and believe we should keep it alive as long as possible!!

      Delete
  3. I know Mollie would have hated everyone staring just at her when she was little. Her mom seems like strange people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the whole family is strange PK - the coldest people I have ever met.

      Delete
  4. Present opening is definitely a communal experience, except for birthdays

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup !! AND birthdays are your special day - you don't have to share with anyone !! (unless you're a twin) We make birthdays as special as Christmas ............

      Delete

Popular Posts