Friday, August 28, 2015

Adjusting

I have lived in an apartment only once in my life time - when I was first married some 30+ years ago.  I honestly don't remember too much of apartment life.  After that brief stint (about 2 years) we moved into a home.  And I have always lived in a house since then.............. 

All that to say - it is taking some adjustment to be living in an apartment now.  The first thing I noticed is how dark the apartment is.  Of course!!  I only have windows on one side of my living space.....  Fortunately I haven't noticed cooking odors in the hallway and thankfully my neighbours are very quiet.......... 

This morning I am doing my first load of laundry in the laundry room - again fortunately - there is a laundry room on each floor - so I don't have to trek down to some dark dingy basement 

But I am not the only one having to adjust to apartment life.  Miss Ashes is having a tough time.  At the house - every morning  - she would join me on the front deck early in the morning for my first cup of coffee and cigarette.  When I would come back in - she would automatically head for the back door and get very verbal if I didn't move fast enough to get the door open and set her free to explore the back yard.  This summer she has spent most of her day outside........... only coming to the back door when she wanted food/water or the litter box, and then going right back outside.

Each morning - here at the apartment - she joins me on the balcony for my first cup of coffee in the morning........ and then........... she wanders around the apartment nattering at me.  I swear she is looking for the back door and her big adventurous back yard.  She has figured out that maybe the front door leads somewhere - maybe her back yard??? BUT "mom" is mean and nasty and won't open it and let her out.

Yesterday I took some pictures of Miss Ashes grumbling on the balcony............

 
doesn't she look impressed with her caged view of the world????

BUT she has discovered - just beyond those bars is a whole green world - filled with squirrels, bugs, birds, and hidey holes.............



IF she could only slip away......... (le sigh) 

but she is very good - when I see a paw go through the bars I say sternly "Missy!!!" and the paw comes back in - and she grumbles and gives me dirty looks but she listens.  Someone suggested I get a leash for her and take her for a walk - right - would work except Miss Priss does NOT like leashes in any shape or form - and HATES collars.  So she is confined to the balcony.

Side note here - I wondered what had her attention yesterday..... and discovered she had found a new "creature".............. 



watching the lil caterpillar kept her amused for all of 2 minutes.... (grinning) 

We'll both adjust ...... and find our way through this new  journey 

 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:41 pm

    If you want to walk with her try a halter with a leash rather than a collar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:53 pm

    I rescued a cat that spent most of its life outside. There were adjustments but I found some things that may help you now.

    1. Get a fair sized cat tree/house.
    2. Plant some cat grass, oat grass or cat nip and leave it on the inside of your porch door. Gets sunlight but keeps her inside. My cat LOVED this.
    3. If you have pinterest search for cat walls. There are people that have put floating shelves along the wall in patterns/staggered apart enough for the cat to climb them and explore. Some even lead to hidey holes installed elsewhere.
    4. Bamboo. I have fish tanks and my cat loves the bamboo sticking out of it and it's not harmful.
    5. If you're not opposed to it get her a friend. My cat is named Ashes as well. She has a kitten and spends most of the day so busy with her that outside just seems exhausting.
    6. There are pet carriers that are enclosed with mesh so you can go sit in the grass with her and keep her contained.

    I hope your little miss starts to see what a great thing this is for both of you. If all else fails, give her tuna :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts