Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Time Travel


Just a little back story - something you may not know about me.  When I was in university I minored in history.  I LOVED history and if I could have found some career that allowed me to research and revel in history I think I would have done it.  As fate would have it, it has become just a hobby of mine.......... a passion.

One of the photo projects I have had rolling around in the back of my mind is the "disappearing history"  - buildings that are slowly turning to dust that hold stories of our history,

 On Monday when I went off on my day long photo shoot - I took with me a list of addresses/co-ordinates of abandoned buildings.  I was well aware that I was - in some ways - going to break the law.... trespassing for sure - and maybe (depending on the definition of the law) breaking and entering.  I was nervous (I am not much one for breaking laws or rocking the boat) but I pushed ahead.   I wasn't going to get any pictures of our disappearing history if I didn't wiggle around the law a little bit.

I have divided my shoot on Monday into two distinct categories -   1) industrial and 2) residential.  And will share the pictures with you over the next few days.

Day 18 of 365

The first stop I headed for was supposed to have 2 warehouses to shoot - there was supposed to be an old ice house behind another warehouse ............ only thing was, I discovered the ice house had been renovated and refurbished and is now making the bags of ice we buy for camping trips and parties and various other affairs.....

that left this building - I couldn't find any recordable history and I was pleased for my first shoot of the day I would not have to trespass or violate any laws... the building was right on the street - boarded up - but no fencing around it.


























The shoot was off to a good start

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts