Thursday, December 08, 2011

The Great Cookie Exchange






I was bouncing around blogville the other day and discovered some of my fellow bloggers were having a cookie exchange......... and they hadn't invited me (see me pout??)

Well I crashed the party - left a message on "A Reluctant Bitch's" blog saying I was a day late but would post my recipe this morning...  

So here's my recipe for my Mom's traditional Scottish Shortbread - it was the one cookie she made at least double the batch of... and often gave it as gifts.

Just a small hint  - you might want to cover the edges with tinfoil for the first 20 minutes to avoid the edges being too brown.  Also it is advisable to cut into triangles / squares / whatever you prefer while they are still hot.... it helps prevent them from crumbling.... 

OH and I almost forgot.... my mom always pricked the top with a fork - I am not sure why but it did make a nice pattern - and somehow it never seemed like her shortbread without the small evenly spaced hole pattern !!! 





  Mom's Scottish Shortbread
1 cup softened butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour
9 inch cake pan
Cream the butter (electric mixer). Add the sugar, but keep creaming. Then slowly add the flour. Press the dough down into the pan. Then bake at 325 for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan. 

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for being the finale!!

    Glad you joined the party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never attempted shortbread so I will definitely try this! Seems like a very easy recipe which are my fav! :)
    ~viemoira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:13 am

    I'll for sure be trying this...can't wait to taste it!

    Love,
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never attempted shortbread either, but I believe I will be giving this recipe a whirl! =)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. I went ahead and added you to the list of participants on my post. I doubt everybody got to read all the recipes yesterday, so it's a nice finale!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts