Thursday, May 14, 2015

Skid in Sideways





This morning I read a very good article written by a very young woman entitled a Letter to Icarus.  In it she talked about throwing caution to the wind....... flying too close to the sun and plunging to close to the ocean.... Living Life to the fullest - rather than taking the safe middle of the road approach.

I sat up and read it again.  My god - she was describing my life.  I have always tried to please someone - definitely not myself. I have always tried to not rock the boat - to dress conservatively - to behave politely - to be totally and completely socially acceptable - blend in and not stand out.

Know what my wildest dreams have been for many many years??? to wear red and purple together - to hike my skirts up (yeah I know what skirts I never wear skirts) and show off blinged out running shoes.  I have wanted to wrap brightly coloured silk scarves around my neck ....... and short neck be damned!  I have wanted to party late and sleep late - and dance as though no one was watching.....

After reading the Letter to Icarus this morning I asked myself "what are you waiting for??"  I don't know what waits for me around that corner - but I do know it is way past time for me to plunge forward - round that corner and see what karma has waiting for me...with the following as my new mantra:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a ride!" 
by Hunter S Thompson.  

3 comments:

  1. damn right girl!! You can do it. You are a strong woman. Wear what you want and do what you want. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you find out what is waiting for you around the corner. New adventures can be fun.

    FD

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts