Saturday, June 29, 2013

Stages




I have had some time this week to look back on life - and to look forward.  It stuck me how my life (maybe yours too - but definitely mine) has been made up of very defined stages.

The first 5 years - baby years  - growing preparing - getting ready.

And then the school years - where every year is marked by the June report card - pass or fail - move on or stay back.... striving for / working for the degree that will open up the next stage in life -  WORK

And then WORK!!  What - about 25 - 30 years of working - Monday to Friday - schedules - computers - paper work - meetings - endless meetings - working towards Freedom 55 right??? 

And finally you get there - what you have been rushing towards since you were born - retirement - the final goal.  And it feels really weird to know there are no more goals to strive for.... no long term plans.. unless you consider death a long term plan.  (and yeah I hope my death is a very long term plan) BUT it does feel funny to know that this last stage of my life is leading not towards more of something different - but to my death,

I know I know I am being a bit morbid this Saturday morning - but think about it - it IS my long term goal this time round............ death,

I do believe I will monogram this little saying on my pillow case so it is the last thing I see when I go to bed and the first thing I see in the morning...... 

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

by Hunter S. Thompson


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts