Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Oriental Influence

Anyone who has read here for any length of time - knows how much I love all things Oriental - especially geisha.

For Christmas Warren bought me tickets to go and see the Shen Yun Performing troop from China.  We went on Sunday.  I think it is fair to say we were both a little disappointed in the show.  My mistake was not acknowledging the difference between the performing arts of China and Japan.  

That is not to say we didn't have fun.. or that we didn't enjoy the show. It was just not what we had envisioned.

My favourite part of the show was the Cherry Blossom dance.  It was more along the lines of what I expected.  (For the most part the show looked like classical ballet - with opera thrown in for good measure)  AND I have to say - the sets / scenery were sadly lacking - nothing as brilliant as this photo..... obviously done for publicity


 
As we were leaving the show........ some Chinese entertainment TV show stopped me and asked me if I would allow them to interview me. Believe it or not I became tongue tied.  All I could think was - 'you don't want me to say I was disappointed in the show'  I kinda got railroaded into doing the interview..... while my brain was hurrying to catch up with what was happening - the interviewer had hustled me into the limelight.

I didn't rave about the tenor who had sung, like the man before me (who obviously knew much more about the troop than I did) Instead I hummed and hawed and stumbled over my words - trying to find something nice to say.  Finally I hit on the Cherry Blossom dance.  BUT even then I failed miserably on saying something arty farty about the dance routine.  


Honestly from now on..... I will have a whole lot of respect for the 'interview the man  on the street' segments that you see on television from time to time.  It is very difficult to be dragged from the reality of the moment to the glare of the television lights and have questions fired at you..... hard to think on your feet.

All in all Warren and I enjoyed the show.........but more importantly we enjoyed the time together.. a perfect ending to a wonderful holiday !!

Today I head back to work.......... no impromptu TV cameras there - just kids and chaos and noise ............ that is most definitely my comfort zone!!



1 comment:

Popular Posts