Friday, October 19, 2018

So very proud.........








Sir Steve and I arrived at the school at 2:30 yesterday.  The teacher (not looking very pleased to see us) greeted us at the door.  As I glanced to the left and there was the lil one all dressed in her winter coat sitting alone in the main office ... looking very small and alone.

The principal came out and took us all into her office.  Before anything could begin I insisted on the lil one taking off her coat and being comfortable.... I had also suggested to Sir Steve that we sit on either side of her.

The principal started by asking the lil one to tell her what had happened.  The lil one was hugging her school bag.... and fidgeting.. but she didn't hesitate -- she spoke up and told them exactly what had happened... even when the principal questioned her about the 'box' the lil one explained it was really a 'bin'.  

Even when they asked her what happened after she told her friend (hoping I think to get the lil one to say she had told others in the class) the lil one said the friend had told the other children.

The teacher leaned forward and said (rather gruffly in my opinion) that he was sorry -- he should have asked why she had used the word and should have gotten to the bottom of the incident.  The lil one just smiled at him.

The whole thing was over in 15 minutes.

But last night I was going over the whole thing in my head...... and I realized what a bright, brave young girl the lil one is. She gets.. really gets! .... that she has the right to voice the truth and she has the right to be listened to.  This time we had to fight for her right -- for her voice to be heard ... but I have a feeling this lil girl is one day not going to have any trouble using her voice.

Life is good when you are watching the caterpillar transform into a butterfly 

 

3 comments:

  1. The positivity of having you and Sir Steve standing by her, guiding her and supporting her in a difficult situation will last a lifetime. Have a great weekend! ... nj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:15 pm

    I love this. You and your Sir are to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a gift that is. I am hoping to teach the same things. I love that you saw to her comfort, not allowing anyone else to take charge over you guys.
    EsMay

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts