Thursday, October 18, 2018

Authority Figures

I am so submissive by nature.......... when someone is in a position of 'authority' I put them up on a pedestal and 'worship' them?? OK OK maybe not worship -- but I sure as hell never question what they tell me...... 

Let's start with  DOCTORS 


A couple of years ago my then family doctor called me after some blood tests and told me I had to go on a B12 supplement because my B12 levels were terribly low.  He told me to go get the largest dose of B12 one can buy and take it every day.  Being the good patient I did as he told me.......... 

Now I have a new doctor -- and he reviewed my medications with me -- prescription and over the counter.  He questioned why the B12 and I told him.  He was looking at my file -- he told me I was just barely under the acceptable level...... he said I certainly didn't need such a large dose........ he told me to cut my daily intake by more than half.  I asked for another blood test to give me (if not him) an idea of where my B12 levels were......... 

Yesterday I had the blood tests -- today I got the results.  The only item on the list of tests that was abnormal was -- you guessed it -- my B12!!  It was even marked as being VERY high.  My B12 is 800+  ....... it had been 138 ...normal is between 150 and 400.......... So now I am thinking I maybe should cut the dose I am on in half...... I see the doctor in another 4 weeks  and I'm sure he'll have some thoughts on the dosage.....

BUT it kinda leaves me wondering who can you trust with your health???

Now another set of authority figures........... 



Teachers.

A little over 2 weeks ago I wrote #Mybody....... explaining how the lil one's teacher had reacted to her reporting (to a friend) an accidental 'bad touch'.  Sir Steve contacted the teacher and principal -- and as I told you all -- their response did not satisfy us.  (you can read that one HERE)  So Sir Steve asked for a meeting with both the teacher - the principal - and the lil one.  

He has played telephone tag with the school for all this time....... BUT finally yesterday they agreed to a meeting this afternoon after school !!!  
About bloody time!  Let's hope we have some resolution to this today and maybe it'll make just a small impact on how other similar situations are handled.

Life is good when you find your own voice...... for yourself and the lil ones.



3 comments:

  1. In the meantime, before your Doc appt in a month, you might want to consider talking to your pharmacist about your B12 issues. A good pharmacist is often a best resource for medication info.
    Good luck with the school meeting! ... nj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the B12 and the meeting. Good that you are advocating for the lil one!
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Morningstar,

    I hope the meeting with the school goes well and results in a positive way forward. Wow on the B12. Hope you manage to even out the levels. I'm with NJ on consulting a pharmacist in the meantime while you wait to see the doc again.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts