Friday, December 23, 2016

Cure for Boredom


I am pretty sure I mentioned here that I went looking for part time substitute work to try and cure my boredom -- and to fight the 'sads' that come with winter.

I received a phone call from my boss a couple of weeks ago - she needed someone to work with a Kindergarten kiddy who has spina bifida and is confined to a wheel chair. She sang my praises -- said I was the perfect fit for this lil guy who desperately needed to learn how to socialize with other children.  All I could think was -- in 30 years I never worked with a child in a wheel chair -- and definitely never changed diapers.  

I took some time to think about it -- went in to school and met him and followed his shadow for a couple of hours. And thought about it some more.

I agreed to do it one day at a time -- if I wasn't comfortable with him then I wouldn't do it -- even if it was only for the 2 weeks till the holidays. 

Well I am on my second week with him.  He touched something deep inside of me -- the same spot that led me - 30 years ago - to working with my "special kids"  And I knew this was what I wanted -- no needed -- to do.

On Wednesday I asked my boss if she still needed someone to work with this lil guy in the new year -- to help integrate him into the classroom -- to help him make friends -- to help him learn some basic social skills and she did.

So as of  Jan 9th I will be working 5 days a week for a couple of hours every morning....... 

I realized that boredom is more than having nothing to do -- it is (at least for me) needing to feel like I am contributing / making a small difference. 

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I am also looking for sub work, part time for the next couple months before I go back to my "regular" job. Sometimes these kiddos just get their hooks in your heart. I'm glad its you - because you want to help him!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts