Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Lil Engine who Could

I tend to put the finishing touches on my lesson plans/themes in August - when I am sitting totally relaxed ... totally refreshed... under my lil red umbrella in my secret garden.

Last August when I was looking at what would add some pizazz to my theme "Around the world in 180 days" I came up with this brilliant idea to hold a celebration at the end of each country.  That celebration would involve food for the children from the respective country - music - and maybe some entertainment. 

It is now May - 9 months into the year and yesterday we finished up our second to last country - India.  True to form we had to have a celebration.   

Remember the story of the lil engine who thought he could??? "I think I can ....... I think I can... I think I can. ................. I KNEW I COULD!!"  that one - remember it?? 

Well that was me yesterday.  I was at the Board in the morning - then back to school for lunch to handle some problems - then off to pick up the supplies/food for the party.  By the time 3:30 rolled around I was (and there is no polite way of putting this) dragging my ass.  WHY in god's name did I think - way back in August - that this celebration idea was such a good idea???!!!   ................ right I remember now - for the kids !!

So the tables were set in bright colours - the diwali pots were set with lit candles - the samosas fresh from the oven were on the tables (thank you god there was a restaurant that agreed to make fresh piping hot samosas for 3:00 p.m.) And the kids filed in......... you could have heard a pin drop when they saw the lunch room decorated in Indian style.  Then there was laughter and chattering and scrambling for places at the tables.

I have to say the funniest part of the celebration was when my wee lil ones decided to dip their samosas in the dipping sauce........ all of a sudden I had about 12 wee ones jumping up with their mouths wide open - tongues hanging out - rushing to the drinking fountains.  

Unfortunately I cannot  put up pictures of the children celebrating India - I would love to share with you two of my young girls dressed in traditional Indian costumes.  BUT I can show you the tables .. and the samosas and the diwali pots........ 




 Now we're packing our bags and heading off to Hawaii (seemed a suitable country to visit as we head into the heat and muggy weather of June) .......... with one last celebration on the horizon at the end of June.......... one last celebration !  I think I can .. I think I can.. I think I can............. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:22 am

    You had lit candles on the tables... Nice touch! We were not allowed to have any kind of 'fire' ie candles etc in any room at school.

    A lovely luau with flower leis and grass skirts maybe in June?

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawaii isn't a country. o.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL@ kaya -

    OH BITE ME

    it's my small tribute to the US ok?? does that work for you?? LOL

    @Joyce - damn I never even thought about it - lit candles - I don't think we're allowed either.. LOL.. hell obviously what they don't know won't hurt ME.. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts