Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Magic

There is no ideal Christmas; only the one Christmas you decide to make as a reflection of your values, desires, affections, traditions.
- Bill McKibben


Last night when I got home from work I threw together some Scotch shortbread. Then I went and turned on the Christmas lights and curled up on the sofa and looked out on the winter wonderland. As I sat there warm and feeling contented and at peace, memories poured back from my childhood.

Christmas - when I was a child - was a time of magic.. of laughter... and smells of cookies baking, fresh cut evergreens, of staying up late...of neighbours dropping by with candy or fresh baked goodies, of family and love.

It was a time filled with tradition. From the Santa Claus Parade (which was NEVER in November) to visiting Santa at Eaton's and riding the train around the Christmas village until you reached Santa..... of whispering secret wishes in Santa's ear, it was one small gift bought that day at Eaton's. I remember the last one I got - the year before I stopped believing in Santa Claus. It was a grey mouse. And when you wound it up it turned somersaults across the living room rug. That silly wind up mouse lasted until I was married and had children of my own...... and they would wind it up and marvel at the somersaults it did across the rug at grandma's house.

It was going downtown to meet my dad for dinner sometime during December. And going to Oglivy's window (Oglivy's was/is a store that stands out in my memory.... it served English high tea every afternoon at 3:00 p.m.) Their bags were a dark green tartan and it was situated right across the street from where my dad worked. I don't think I will ever forget the magic of standing on the street - in the cold and the dark - and watching the animated window come alive with all the little creatures.........(many years later I went back as an adult with my children - I don't remember if they were as mesmerized as I had been but it brought back the childhood magic for me)


Oglivy's Window

There was the excitement of going to church on Christmas Eve. Of Christmas music playing on the car radio ........ of twinkling Christmas lights on all the houses......the hush in the Church and the tall Christmas tree standing beside the altar. And it was all so much better if a light snow fell ....... blanketing the world in shimmering white snowflakes.

Christmas was all about magic .......... and that magic stayed with me .. all these years. There may be moments of panic and stress.. the worry everything won't get done in time.. of being so tired I could cry.......then all it takes is a quiet moment in the glow of the Christmas tree..... to remember that Christmas magic is there... I only have to stop rushing and look........... and that magic touches my heart and I am a child again.


1 comment:

  1. That was a post that got me reminiscing. Strange to many people but the norm in my home town in the UK but I remember the hot pork sandwiches on Christmas eve :)

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts