Thursday, July 31, 2008

Trials and Tribulations

When i was younger......... much much younger... i had long (very long) blond hair.......

Then i got pregnant........ and started to go grey in my 20's (that is not to say eldest daughter was trying or anything - no no not at all.... the fact that every time i went near her she screamed like a banshee.. the fact that anyone else but me could handle her and she would smile and coo.. no no .. that had nothing to do with the fact that i started to go grey)

A couple of years after the birth of charming eldest daughter..i was cleaning the bathroom.. looked in the mirror and saw this "kid" with pig tails looking back...... i kept thinking 'i am 30 now - i should grow up'. So what did i do?? i picked up the phone and called my hairdresser... and demanded that he cut it all off.. yes ALL of it.. give me a perm too.. and maybe cover up the grey streaks.

i came home looking just like my mother !!! even eldest daughter who by now was able to cope with my mothering skills - took one look at me and ran crying away. My personality changed .. with the hair cut.. it was as though the hairdresser had cut off the fun side of me.. (another version of Samson ). Anywayyyyyyyy.. heading towards my 40th birthday - having had another daughter .. who didn't seem to mind my mothering skills - OR - they had improved drastically with the hair cut.... i decided to let my hair grow again....... and to dye my hair completely no more streaks to cover the grey - the grey was winning anyway!! i was gonna try and go back to the long blond young years ......

i didn't actually succeed in going back to the younger years but i did succeed in going back to the long blond hair.

Heading into my late 40's - now remember i have been dying my hair now for just over 15 years.. i realized the hair was getting dull looking.. brassy looking.. time for a change.. and oh wow.. just in time there was a new hair product out that promised to dye the grey AND add streaks all in one sitting......... and at home too.. so i didn't have to sit still at the hairdresser's for hours and hours.

i rushed out and bought it.. couldn't wait to get home and tear open the package and get started.. i was gonna have young hair again.. blond with blonder streaks... YAY !!! and all in a matter of a couple of hours.

When it came time to put the streaks in......i was on a roll.. it was going smashingly well... i used the provided 'comb' to comb the next set of dye through my hair.. in sections... oh this was gonna look gorgeous.. young looking hair again....... but the comb seemed to get stuck in the hair... i tried to unstick it.. and the hair pulled out of my head !!! Did that deter me?? not this stubborn subbie.. i did another section .. and another.. and each time a hunk of hair would come out.

When i washed my hair.. i literally sat in the bathtub and cried.. my hair was quite literally falling out in handfuls.... what had i done!!?? i called my hairdresser in tears... he took me immediately.. He took one look at the mess that was supposed to be my young blond hair.. and shook his head.. Nothing to be done but to cut as much as possible off.. get rid of it.. hair and colouring...

It took nearly 2 years for all the hair to grow back.. and the hairdresser told me i had been lucky .. at one point even he despaired of my hair coming back at all !!! i couldn't colour my hair any more.. i was going to be grey/white and learn to love it... or live with it.. end of discussion.

Since that time i have struggled with my limp thin yucky hair.... i have tried growing it.. i have tried cutting it - short shorter shortest. and i hate it .......... and when i hate something i tend to ignore it.. so for the last few months i have been ignoring my hair...and it had grown quite long (for me). Now youngest daughter's wedding was coming and i scrutinized myself in the mirror... what was to be done with the hair??? Stupid me .. i actually asked her if she would be upset if i cut it for the wedding..

YES !! she would be upset.... so i suffered through the 35 degree heat with pouffy hair that wasn't really all that bad.. except....... i didn't like it.

When the wedding was over.. i turned to Sir and asked Him for permission to cut the locks again !! By now Sir is accustomed to my frantic need every once in a while to DO something with my hair........ He nodded.. and so i went searching for a new 'do' something bouncy and springy and devilish .. and short......something to suit my personality..

Thank god i have a patient understanding hairdresser.. i arrived with a picture.. and declared i want THAT cut...... he studied it... he studied me.. he hummed and he hawed.. he finally said.. "you do realize SHE - pointing to the picture - has thick hair right"?? yes yes i knew that.. just give me that hair cut.......

And he did..

And i loved it.. it is short .. but not that short.. it bounces .. sort of.. and can be sly and devilish if i flip one side just right.......

The interesting thing in this tale is..... every woman that has seen the latest haircut says they love it .. the men are .. ummm.. diplomatic. In fact Cloud asked - after spending an hour or so with me before He got up the nerve to ask i think - "so is this your summer cut?"

Sir commented that i had earrings on one night.. i replied i always wear earrings You just couldn't see them before........

Now the big question ........ have i found the hair cut that i will love?? that i will be satisfied with? have i finally given up on the notion of ever having young blond long hair again??

ummmmmmmm what i will say is.. for now.. i like my new hair........

And in case you are interested in the picture i took to my poor overworked hairdresser.......here it is............. just remember.. she is a red head !!!




5 comments:

  1. Oh Morningstar!
    I soooooo know the pain you feel!

    My hair was down to my arse, butt ...
    it was severely damaged.
    It is now a respectable middle of my back and oh-so-healthy!
    It was even healthy enough for me to colour over MY white/grey and regain my red!

    Personally, I ADORE the hairstyle, but most men like looooooong hair .... you know, so they can twist their hands in it and give a good yank every now & again (such a delicious feeling too!)!
    I bet the style looks gorgeous on you, especially if all your hair is white/grey!!!!!
    Brilliant!

    Anywho, I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part I thought you were talking about ya pubic hair......

    Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok first off whitesnake !!! geeeeez man.. get your mind out of the gutter.. i did the cunt thing to DEATH.. sighhhhhh...

    but then what can i expect from a mere vanilla male (cheeky grin)


    Scarlet.......

    that was my concern .. to at least have some hair that Sir can get a grip on.. when i had it short shorter shortest .. there was virtually nothing for Him to grab and i missed it.. The first thing Sir did when He saw it was reach and grab a handful - He had such a satisfied look in His eyes !!!

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand why you can't bleach or dye your hair. I get that you got ahold of a bad product that trashed your hair, but that should have been a one time thing. Cut away the damage and the new growth is fine. Apply a different product and you're good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man do I EVER understand! I got hit in the head with a golf ball when I was 10 and it killed the color folicles at my forehead on right side. I had a "Vampira Streak" by the time I was 12. And have been greying since I was in my early 20s, too. I used to color it all the time, but when it was time to do it the last time, I stopped. I now have short hair that is about 80% white, 20% mousy brown. Tom loves it this way, but never seems to mind when I LOSE MY MIND and head for color again.

    Back when I was so sick, and on all sorts of medications, I lost alot of my hair's thickness. Now I have baby-fine hair, but lots of it. And it is VERY short. I cannot stand when it gets onto my ears and collar.

    T

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts