Monday, December 04, 2006

soft snow and soft memories

It was almost like Mother Nature knew i needed my spirits lifted just a bit. It is very difficult to get cracking on Christmas stuff when the grass is still green.. and the rain is falling. This morning on my way back from the grocery store it started to snow.... BIG soft gentle flakes of snow.

i decided .. seeing as i had the weekend off so to speak.. i would get cracking and do some Christmas baking. Every so often i would look out the window and watch the snow falling..... covering everything. It just felt so right ... you know what i mean?? Christmas smells throughout the house and Christmas snow covering the ground.

It brought back memories of past Christmases.. the one when i couldn't fall asleep and my dad (who wasn't exactly known for his snuggling ways) came and laid on the bed with me and whispered stories in my ear until i finally dozed off.... memories that brought me up to last year.. when after everyone was settled after our turkey dinner (we do Christmas on the 24th here) my grandson and i stole away and came up to the office.. and granny fired up the pc.. and went to the NORAD site.. and he and i watched Santa travel round the world.. in the darkness.. snuggling together.

Christmas can be such a hectic time of year.. a time when parents stress.. and kids get over tired and sick..... it should be a time of memories.. warm memories that last a lifetime........

Tonite .. when all the work was done.. and all the memories were rehashed.. i pulled on my coat and boots and took the shovel down and went outside under the soft falling flakes and shovelled and marvelled at the world of white .. and i swear i saw Christmas fairies dancing in the snow........... my little reindeer finally looks at home in the front yard.. standing in the snow now rather than the mud and dead leaves..........




Yes winter has finally arrived........ and..... Christmas IS coming...........

4 comments:

  1. I would be lying if I said that I didn't miss the feelings I had when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you saw the fairies I thought they might have been too sad to come out at least they have found a kind place where some one believes in them

    ReplyDelete
  4. you conjure such sweet memories for me. Thank you!

    Stay warmmm

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts